Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Montpellier
    Posts
    11

    Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix 3.2 on my HD.
    I have some trouble with the screen setup, so I can't read the graphical interface (KDE).

    I want to kill KDE and X (I use Ctrl Backspace) , but KDE keeps on re-starting immediately !

    How to prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    I want to be in text mode to check my problems.

    Thanks,
    TOM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    --Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login as root. KDE will still be there on Alt-F7 (IIRC) but you can work in text mode. If you want to disable KDE from starting at boot, you need to edit /etc/inittab and comment (put a '#' in front of) the line where it starts KDM, I believe.

    --If you want, you can boot the Knoppix CD with a non-GUI runlevel (' knoppix 2 ') and try to figure out the right settings from there. Once you've got it the way you want, copy the /etc/X11/XFree86config-4 file down to your HD.

    Quote Originally Posted by TOM
    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix 3.2 on my HD.
    I have some trouble with the screen setup, so I can't read the graphical interface (KDE).

    I want to kill KDE and X (I use Ctrl Backspace) , but KDE keeps on re-starting immediately !

    How to prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    I want to be in text mode to check my problems.

    Thanks,
    TOM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    /etc/X11/XFree86config-4 file down to your HD.
    /etc/X11/XF86config-4

Similar Threads

  1. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:07 AM
  2. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 02:59 AM
  3. lilo and windows killing said of
    By whoCaresWatIamCalled in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 07:11 AM
  4. Killing the swap file on boot
    By lockejr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
  5. Killing Gnome?
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver picture

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver

$299.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204 picture

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204

$24.97