Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: dd_rescue for copying hard drives with bad sectors

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    I am in the process of using DD_rescue to copy anything left on a hard drive that crashed to a new hard drive that I bought. I've got it running alright, but I'm wondering about the next step:

    If/when anything copies to the new hard drive, how do I get it off of this new hard drive. The only thing I really need are some pictures that were on the old one when it crashed.

    Needless to say, I am very new to Linux. I have a coworker who is willing to help with specifics, but does not have time to do the research. He helped me get it running after I showed him this forum and is loaning me his copy of knoppix.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by tollhaus View Post
    I am in the process of using DD_rescue to copy anything left on a hard drive that crashed to a new hard drive that I bought. I've got it running alright, but I'm wondering about the next step:

    If/when anything copies to the new hard drive, how do I get it off of this new hard drive. The only thing I really need are some pictures that were on the old one when it crashed.

    Needless to say, I am very new to Linux. I have a coworker who is willing to help with specifics, but does not have time to do the research. He helped me get it running after I showed him this forum and is loaning me his copy of knoppix.
    It sounds like you need to check out the man-page for dd_rescue - just open LX-terminal (little black tv-screen icon on lower left) and type:
    Code:
    man dd_rescue
    Or, you can search the web for the same string. Basically, you can limit how much gets copied in the first place; if you need to get rid of anything afterwards you can use PCman (file-folder icon next to the LXterm icon) or
    Code:
    rm -rf /the/path/and/name-to-delete
    in the terminal window.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423

    dd_rescue and ddrescue

    I did not have to use dd_rescue until I have a crashed hard disk.

    Then I start reading about dd_rescue. But it's confusing because there is another program call ddrescue around. The one included in Knoppix is dd_rescue, while some of the docs in the net talks about ddrescue ( the GNU version of dd rescue ). The ddrescue Debian package is called gddrescue, but the program name is ddrescue.

    I would actually recommend to use ddrescue instead of dd_rescue. 'ddrescue' with a log file makes it interruptable and resumable. And if there are bad sectors, it can retry the bad sectors at some other time when you cool off the hard drive or if you take it out from the freezer.

Similar Threads

  1. Copying Between NTFS Drives
    By Zeroez in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
  2. problem copying knoppix kernel to hard drive
    By fatblueduck in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 09:09 PM
  3. Thousand of BAD Sectors on Hard Drive
    By skwerl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 01:08 AM
  4. One PC, 2 drives, copying/moving date from one to the other
    By Torriatte in forum General Support
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 08:33 PM
  5. copying Knoppix to Hard Drive
    By beajedi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC picture

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC

$73.00