Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: DVD not loading?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    DVD not loading?

    When I boot the live DVD, it all works and lists a bunch of text, but eventually it goes to a screen which shows the background and my mouse looks like a cross. Then it stays there. What should I do?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I would suggest starting by following the Documentation link near the top of this page and reading the Downloading FAQ portion of the wiki. We really don't have enough information to tell you exactly what is wrong. If I had to make a guess I would try that perhaps your system needs one or more "cheat codes" to help it boot, and I would further guess that you might benefit from xmodule=vesa or one of the other xmodule codes, but that is only a guess since we don't have enough to go on. We are not even sure if you checked the md5 checksum before burning the disc, burnt it at low speed, and otherwise made it correctly, or even of which Knoppix version you are using and what hardware you are running on.

    So start by reviewing the downloadng FAQ, it should cover all of the steps for making and booting a Knoppix disc. There is also a wiki section explaining cheat codes, although if you downloaded by the torrent then you already have a good cheat code document.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I would suggest starting by following the Documentation link near the top of this page and reading the Downloading FAQ portion of the wiki. We really don't have enough information to tell you exactly what is wrong. If I had to make a guess I would try that perhaps your system needs one or more "cheat codes" to help it boot, and I would further guess that you might benefit from xmodule=vesa or one of the other xmodule codes, but that is only a guess since we don't have enough to go on. We are not even sure if you checked the md5 checksum before burning the disc, burnt it at low speed, and otherwise made it correctly, or even of which Knoppix version you are using and what hardware you are running on.

    So start by reviewing the downloadng FAQ, it should cover all of the steps for making and booting a Knoppix disc. There is also a wiki section explaining cheat codes, although if you downloaded by the torrent then you already have a good cheat code document.
    I am using the latest Knoppix DVD, I checked the md5, burned it at the lowest spead possible, (4x), and am running it on Dell Vostro 1500.
    The CD works fine, (except I can't connect to internet), but the DVD load up with the text, but then goes to a screen with the background and the mouse (which looks like a cross) and stays like that.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by btiend
    I am using the latest Knoppix DVD, I checked the md5, burned it at the lowest spead possible, (4x), and am running it on Dell Vostro 1500.
    The CD works fine, (except I can't connect to internet), but the DVD load up with the text, but then goes to a screen with the background and the mouse (which looks like a cross) and stays like that.
    Well, the latest DVD version is 5.3.1, not sure why you didn't just say that. There is no 5.3.1 CD though, so you must be using some other version of the CD. Not sure if it is 5.1.1 or one of the disappointing 6.x versions or some other CD version. Using different versions of the CD and DVD might explain why the CD boots but not the DVD, but I would really be surprised if the 5.1.1 CD worked without a cheat code and the 5.3.1 DVD needed one on the same hardware. Still, I have nothing more to offer than suggesting that you experiment with the cheat codes. Unless, of course, some of that text that scrolled by contains error messages that might provide insight.

    I'm curious as to why with the CD you can't connect to the Internet, but again nothing to go on and that would be better dealt with in a separate thread in the Networking forum.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Correct ISO and good burning does not help if the media is not good. First thing to try when you encounter such problems, is always to check the media with another PC to see if it works there: If it does, it may still be a hardware problem,with some kind of incompatibility between your drive and the DVD. You might try it with another sample, preferably DVD/RW. I really doubt there is a problem with Knoppix and the Vostro 1500, but of course it may be.

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Loading...
    By Aidamina in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 07:15 AM
  2. Not Loading
    By smith123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 10:49 PM
  3. ssh not loading
    By mkyb14 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
  4. Help loading up normally
    By scubacuda in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
  5. Loading X
    By Darkever in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S picture

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S

$660.00