Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Crashed - recovery floppy won't work

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30

    Crashed - recovery floppy won't work

    On installed knoppix 3.1
    System froze (keyboard, mouse) - I turned off machine.
    Turned back on. System came up without kde. I logged in. Could not start kde. Tried to logoff.
    Found shutdown command but couldnt get it to work. Turned off machine. Now when starting again (from recovery floppy or from harddrive) machine hangs on adding swap (which has been there all along).
    What should I have done when the system froze?
    How do I start kde if the system comes up without it?

    I could reinstall now, but I'm concerned should this happen later after I've added a lot to the systme. ( I do back up /etc and /home but hadnt done that yet for this system)
    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    One of the primary functions of the Knoppix live bootable cd is recovery right? :P

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    One of the primary functions of the Knoppix live bootable cd is recovery right? :P
    Yeah just boot up with the CD, look over the config files and chroot into the HD installation.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for the replies.
    Ive used Caldera and Mandrake so am familiar with linux but I would appreciate a bit more detail of what you say. Here's what I tried:
    Booted up with knoppix cd.
    My knoppix is installed on hd hdc3.
    I cntl-alt-f1 to root.
    mount /mnt/hdc3
    chroot /mnt/hdc3
    login knoppix
    passwd: entered password - not accepted (I know its ok - have used it repeatedly)
    Tried several times, also to login to root -- times out after 60 seconds.
    Am I on the right track??

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Crashed - recovery floppy won't work

    Quote Originally Posted by bilzer
    On installed knoppix 3.1
    System froze (keyboard, mouse) - I turned off machine.
    Turned back on. System came up without kde. I logged in. Could not start kde. Tried to logoff.
    Found shutdown command but couldnt get it to work. Turned off machine. Now when starting again (from recovery floppy or from harddrive) machine hangs on adding swap (which has been there all along).
    What should I have done when the system froze?
    I certainly can't say I've never had a system freeze but more often than not Linux will recover- just give it a moment. Realize that what usually crashes is X and not Linux.

    How do I start kde if the system comes up without it?
    startx

    Boot the Knoppix disc->
    knoppix 2
    root
    <pwd>
    mount /dev/hda? /mnt/hda?
    mcedit /mnt/hda?/var/log/syslog


    You could also just chroot over to /mnt/hda? if you want to.

    Have a look- take your time- see what there is to see. Forget all you ever learned about logs and messages from wimpdoze and look at what Linux will tell you. The answers are very often times there to be found. Always enter errors into google.com/linux - there are hundreds (thousands?) of mailing lists that get searched as well.

    A quick something to try would be to reformat the swap file.
    When an OS (yes any OS) is interrupted during a write operation (and that's of course what a swap file does) it can leave all sorts of weird things dropped in various places on the disk in a drunken gi fashion (my apologies to the drunks who are not gi's). Since it hangs on the swap file it wouldn't hurt to eliminate that as a possibility right?

    How have you formatted your hdd(s)? What filesystems that is.

    edit
    Forgot to tell you to mount the hard drive! Of course you can always boot completely into KDE and do it from there much more comfortably I suppose. I prefer the CLI as it is much faster.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for your replies.
    Swap file is same as I'm using on Mandrake 9.l ok
    (trying to decide which to use to replace Man 8.1)
    I couldnt get the knoppix disk to get me back to the installed knoppix so I re-installed it, then backed up /etc and /home with my settings.
    Knoppix is the easiest distro to install I've had yet.
    Perhaps the system wasn't stalled as I thought since after the backup (with tar) the mouse and keyboard slowed badly, and shutdown took a very long time and I just waited it out. On restart speed is ok.
    My machine is 330mb ram with 300 speed and I'm using usb2 - swap is 130mb - I have about 740mb free on the hard disk - perhaps this machine doesnt have power for knoppix?

Similar Threads

  1. cant get bootdisks(floppy) to work
    By sirknot in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 07:36 PM
  2. Getting floppy automount to work
    By Halcyon-X12 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 12:39 AM
  3. Getting floppy automount to work
    By Halcyon-X12 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 07:28 AM
  4. Getting CD/DVD and Floppy drives to work
    By oracle in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 06:44 AM
  5. IBM R40: external USB floppy does not work
    By Uwe Brauer in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01