-
Junior Member
registered user
Newbie can't boot to anything but LXDE, wants Gnome
Downloaded:
v6.0.1 CD 2009-02-08.
I've been playing with knoppix for a while. I'm anxious to try out this new CD, but I can't get it to boot to Gnome. I'm kind of disapointed with the LXDE desktop. It doesn't have as many programs as the old CDs. I'm using the same old cheatcodes:
knoppix lang=us desktop=gnome.
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the problem no matter what computer I use.
Please help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Gnome won't help you with programs lacking on the CD! If your concern is about the programs, you must create a persistent image and use (e.g) Synaptic to install whatever you want. For me, that has been a fairly easy thing to do, even though I haven't used Debian before, except for through Knoppix. Lots of "standard" programs had top be left out from the CD, but it's very easy to intall them to a persistent image.
My best advice is that you try to modify LXDE to tailor it to your needs as best you can first, then install the programs you want, and only afterwards try to change to standard Gnome.
-
Installing gnome-core and trying to install gdm, lxde keeps getting in the way. What packages should I purge to get it out of the way? gdm should really set itself up as greeter when installed, it just doesn't seem to be happening.
Similar Threads
-
By ztahf in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
-
By arwen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM
-
By PRGMX in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 09:15 AM
-
By LRutker in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun
$64.35

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard
$38.99

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home
$16.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US
$21.98