-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Knoppix isn't suitable for most users to install to hard disk, there are plenty of warnings about that all over this site.
But the question was "why recommend Ubuntu over Debian", not why recommend it over Knoppix. As far as I concerned Debian is a much better choice for most users. Of course, there are hundreds of different Linux distros and any one user may find reasons to use one over another, I would never suggest that everyone should use the same distro. But I've never seen a good reason to advocate Ubuntu over Debian, except in the rare case where Ubuntu may temporarily have a driver that Debian has not yet released. So my question was why you made a pretty general recommendation for someone else to use Ubuntu, when Debian had already been mentioned in the thread? Do you have some reason to prefer Ubuntu over Debian?
No reason - except I've tried it and I like it. Debian may be good for a "GUIGuy" also - don't know, haven't tried it.
I just went to one of the web sites that monitor the various Distros, and Ubuntu was at the top of the list, seemed like it did everything I wanted - I tried it and I liked it. Its not a MAC, or Windows, but its good... and... I assume it doesn't suffer from the security issues of Windows. At least that's why I was motivated to try it.
Similar Threads
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By ctav01 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-05-2004, 01:34 AM
-
By Tempestas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:54 PM
-
By nazimm in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95