Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Newbie hdinstall on Dell CPx H500GT, all OK except....

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL USA
    Posts
    2

    Newbie hdinstall on Dell CPx H500GT, all OK except....

    ....I need some help with a few things:

    a) I would like to run i8kutils, but after I apt-get install i8kutils and try to run i8kbuttons or i8kfan, I get "can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory". After searching the 'net and reading alot, I am assuming that the Dell Laptop Support is not enabled in the kernel. Is there a way to enable the Dell support? Or am I just wrong?

    b) Printing from my Linux laptop to my WinXP network printer. I have Samba set up and working, I installed the printer via the KDE Print System menu. When I try to print the test page, it is sent to the WinXP printer, the printer starts working, (i can hear it getting read to load paper, etc.), then it stops before it loads the paper. I can see the print job in the WinXP print list as a Guest user, but it just stalls, and eventually I will have to reset power to the printer to get it back online. Any ideas what might be going wrong?

    c) Some personalized settings are not being saved in KDE under my regular username after a reboot. Things like desktop icon placement, taskbar size, panels added to the "K" menu. Other things like desktop backgrounds, color schemes, etc. are saved OK. Any ideas?

    Other than these problems, I am really happy with the install. Wireless card set up was a breeze, video and sound were detected perfectly, and my laptop now runs faster/better than when it had WinXP on it.

    Anywho, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL USA
    Posts
    2
    Hmmm, 64 views and not one reply....was it something I said

    a) I would like to run i8kutils, but after I apt-get install i8kutils and try to run i8kbuttons or i8kfan, I get "can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory". After searching the 'net and reading alot, I am assuming that the Dell Laptop Support is not enabled in the kernel. Is there a way to enable the Dell support? Or am I just wrong?

    After lots of searching/reading, I finally got this working, thanx to Jim Turner and his page at http://turnerville.virtualave.net/LinuxOnCPxH.html. I just needed to add i8k to the end of the /etc/modules file. Then I apt-get'ed gkrellm and gkrellmi8k, (a i8k plugin for gkrellm). Now I can see my cpu temps and automatically control the fan according to my personal settings, all via gkrellm.

    b) Printing from my Linux laptop to my WinXP network printer. I have Samba set up and working, I installed the printer via the KDE Print System menu. When I try to print the test page, it is sent to the WinXP printer, the printer starts working, (i can hear it getting read to load paper, etc.), then it stops before it loads the paper. I can see the print job in the WinXP print list as a Guest user, but it just stalls, and eventually I will have to reset power to the printer to get it back online. Any ideas what might be going wrong?

    Still not working

    c) Some personalized settings are not being saved in KDE under my regular username after a reboot. Things like desktop icon placement, taskbar size, panels added to the "K" menu. Other things like desktop backgrounds, color schemes, etc. are saved OK. Any ideas?

    This resolved itself when I had to reinstall the OS after breaking something

    And thanx to Hydralisk and his tutorial at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251, I have upgraded my Knoppix hdinstall to Debian unstable. Pretty nice for an older refurb'ed laptop, even if it won't print to my WinXP's printer....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2

    Thanks!

    Thanks, buddy.

    I was able to get the fans working on an old laptop that I'm refurbishing for Project Reboot.

    http://reboot.cpcug.org/

Similar Threads

  1. Help Needed: Newbie : AC 97 Sound Card (Dell Dimension 8300)
    By ganesh_narayanan_cm in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
  2. Knx-hdinstall
    By Abehome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM
  3. knx-hdinstall and knoppix-installer failed on Dell GX270
    By bel_zh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 02:37 PM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. New knx-hdinstall
    By Incubii in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed picture

Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed

$34.99