Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Battery status bug on Inspiron 6000

  1. #1

    Battery status bug on Inspiron 6000

    Hi,

    I'm fairly new to Linux in general. I use Windows at work. In the past I've used a Knoppix CD to access laptops that had OS problems but now I'm playing around with a Knoppix flash drive, which is so much nicer than the CD version I used to have.

    Anyway, I am using Knoppix 6.0.1 on a Dell Inspiron 6000. I was wondering about the little green bar in the bottom right corner that indicates battery status. What program is that, and is there an update or patch for it? Mine currently shows "Battery: 126% charged, -1019:00 until full". I don't think there's anything wrong with the battery itself because acpi says it's "Full, 100%", as does Windows. Also, where would I find the source code for that program?

    Thanks,
    Andy

  2. #2

    More info

    It turns out the acpi "Full, 100%" wasn't the whole story. It does report that when I type acpi, but more importantly it reports "last full" capacity of 3781 mAh and "remaining capacity" of 4800 mAh when I display everything in /proc. The last bit is the problem. The remaining capacity of a 5-year-old battery is not going to be 4800. That's the nominal (aka "design") capacity. The 126% in the graphic display is the 4800 divided by 3781, but an old battery, even fully charged, is never going to be 4800. For some reason acpi reports that when the battery reaches 100%.

    I will try to post some logs of the last stage of charging, not that anyone cares, but at least I'll feel better.

  3. #3

    logs

    Here are the logs of "last full" and "remaining", as the battery finished charging and hit 100%:

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 3183 mAh

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 3408 mAh

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 3483 mAh

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 3589 mAh

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 3693 mAh

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 3705 mAh

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 3715 mAh

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 4800 mAh

    Battery 0: Full, 100%
    Battery 0: design capacity 4800 mAh, last full capacity 3781 mAh = 78%
    AC Adapter 0: on-line
    Thermal 0: ok, 43.5 degrees C
    Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10

    last full capacity: 3781 mAh
    remaining capacity: 4800 mAh

    As you can see, remaining capacity creeps up towards 3781 and when it hits it, jumps to 4800 which is invalid for an old dead battery. The battery meter in LXDE showed 97/98/99% just fine then jumped to 126% when the bad reading occured, and stayed there forever as long as the AC adapter was plugged in.

Similar Threads

  1. Partitioning Dell Inspiron 6000 for dual-boot
    By rangalo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 08:14 PM
  3. Knoppix on Dell inspiron 6000
    By admart35 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 09:44 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 03:16 PM
  5. HYPER Pen 6000 (Serial)
    By Doc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 12:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974 picture

HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974

$135.36



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37