Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: journaling fs a good idea?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Camano Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    journaling fs a good idea?

    hi,

    i'm finally running knoppix 3.2 on my Sony laptop (with a hard disk install) and
    while everything is working great am thinking about going to a journaling fs (ext3
    or reiser?).

    So the question is, since I'm barely familiar with the journaling concept, these fs
    types are more resistant to "crash-damage" than a normal ext2 fs, right?

    If so, should I prefer one over the other (ext3 or reiser)? What are the trade-offs
    over ext2 (if any) and over one another?

    thanks,
    Stefan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Phooey on ext2- it's a waste of your time. There is really no reason to use it (well ok I use it on my /boot partition) but that's it. Definitely go with ext3 or reiser. Personally I use nothing but reiser. Yes journaling is better WAY better. Just google for it you'll find plenty of reasons to use it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2

    Check this out

    U really should check this out http://forums.goldenrain.net/viewtopic.php?t=9

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76

    Re: Check this out

    Quote Originally Posted by Forse
    U really should check this out http://forums.goldenrain.net/viewtopic.php?t=9
    Assuming you are the author of that post, could you clarify two points on ReiserFS?

    ReiserFS doesn't perform well with big files >500mb. ReiserFS is mature and most suited for database files.
    Those two statements seem incompatibel to me. Database files easily exceed 500 MB. The files I work with anyway.

    If u need quota then go with ext3 since reiserFS support is sucky...and is not mature yet
    What is (or are) quota?

    TIA

    - - Edwin

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux docs
    Quota allows you to specify limits on two aspects of disk storage: the number of inodes a user or a group of users may possess; and the number of disk blocks that may be allocated to a user or a group of users.

    The idea behind quota is that users are forced to stay under their disk consumption limit, taking away their ability to consume unlimited disk space on a system. Quota is handled on a per user, per file system basis. If there is more than one file system which a user is expected to create files, then quota must be set for each file system separately.
    About database...well I can be wrong...But we have an enterprise server with MySQL DB. It contails a lot of small files. I guess it depends what u do with DB. Usually forums generate a lot of small files.

    ReiserFS was designed for a small files so performance with big files is not so good. ReiserFS4 will change that.

    BtW. That forum is mine and I just opened So if u want u could post there...and I garantee an answer

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Check this out

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin

    Those two statements seem incompatibel to me. Database files easily exceed 500 MB. The files I work with anyway.
    That is the total of the files in the database you are refering too not one big > 500mb file I think this is where the confusion is.



    What is (or are) quota?

    TIA

    - - Edwin
    Quota limits the amount of HD space a user can have for their use.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76

    Re: Check this out

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    That is the total of the files in the database you are refering too not one big > 500mb file I think this is where the confusion is.
    Well, actually I was not. My Db creates 3 files per table. If one has to store lots of text (or graphics) tables can grow quickly on you. Even more so if one has to store historical data. Denormalizing to speed up queries grows them even faster. Besides that there are DBMS's that store everthing (catalogue, index and data) all in one big file.

    But I googled on ReiserFS. Guess I have some more reading to do. Fascinating stuff.

    Regards,

    - - Edwin

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Check this out

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin

    Well, actually I was not. My Db creates 3 files per table. If one has to store lots of text (or graphics) tables can grow quickly on you. Even more so if one has to store historical data. Denormalizing to speed up queries grows them even faster. Besides that there are DBMS's that store everthing (catalogue, index and data) all in one big file.

    But I googled on ReiserFS. Guess I have some more reading to do. Fascinating stuff.

    Regards,

    - - Edwin
    I stand corrected it's been over 10 years since I last played with any database and even then a 500mb HD was a dream let alone using it for one file, must be a real PIA if the database gets corrupted with only a couple files in it. I guess I'd have some reading to do myself if I ever wanted to use one again.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76

    Re: Check this out

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    and even then a 500mb HD was a dream let alone using it for one file, must be a real PIA if the database gets corrupted with only a couple files in it. I guess I'd have some reading to do myself if I ever wanted to use one again.
    If you ever come upon a DBMS that stores everthing in one file, don't do any reading. Just run as fast as you can and don't forget to close and lock the door. If these babies get corrupted (and they will) you will suffer much, much, very much more than a PIA.

    I leave that to your own imagination.

    Regards,

    - - Edwin

Similar Threads

  1. Is this a good idea?
    By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 03:00 AM
  2. RAID and journaling fs - a bad idea?
    By ThomasX in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 05:14 PM
  3. Is this a good idea? (Knoppix on an old laptop)
    By sybariten in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 01:35 AM
  4. idea
    By Schotty in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 09:59 PM
  5. i have a idea :)
    By wiak in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks

$124.99



Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP picture

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP

$139.00



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX3300-24T EX Series 24-Port Gigabit 4-Port SFP+ Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX3300-24T EX Series 24-Port Gigabit 4-Port SFP+ Switch

$79.99