Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can not transfer files to good HDD from unbootable computer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    northern Michigan
    Posts
    2

    Can not transfer files to good HDD from unbootable computer

    I am having the exact same problem as Erica below..... I can not drag my folders over to the good hard drive. I read about the write permission and that is not the problem.. Am I trying to move too large of a folder? There are 100's of pics in a folder. Do I need to open it and drag each folder inside??? I am so excited to see my stuff still there but can not get it to move for nothing...
    I have tried usb thumbdrive and I attached a HDD to a USB cord and both are recognized.
    Please help..
    Thanks,
    Paul

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't have enough information to know just what your problem is, but I'll mention two things. The drive has to be mounted read/write, by default versions of Knoppix up to 5.x all defaulted to read only (I'm not sure about 6.x versions). You seem to already know about this from what you wrote, but I'm not completely sure that you mounted read/write so I'm mentioning it. Second, I very strongly suggest that the drive be partitioned FAT32 and not NTFS. Some people say that they can write to NTFS, but in the middle of a disaster recovery is not the time to experience another disaster.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Still unable to transfer files
    By DonS in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
  2. Transfer of files
    By usaramblinman69 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 12:56 PM
  3. Transfer .cmg files to peer
    By lilsirecho in forum Klik
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 08:23 PM
  4. How to transfer files using FTP?
    By furryfren in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 12:22 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99