-
how to connect to internet using Knoppix V.5.1.1
i am sure you have had this question asked multiple times and i am sorry for asking it again.
hi am a complete linux newb (i didn't even know it existed about a month ago) and i need some help.
i want to connect to my BT Home Hub (wireless, broadband) but since i am not used to linux off any sort i have no idea how to actually connect to the internet so if someone could tell me where i can find the option to connect to the internet i would be very thankful
few notes:
i believe that the knoppix CD i have is V5.1.1 but i am not to sure because it is not my disc and actually a friends
if this is in the wrong place then i am sorry and please move it to where it should be.
please try to explain it as simple as possible because i am very new to linux and knoppix and am a little dumb
if you need any more information i will try my best to get it.
be kind.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You don't say what your wifi card is (or chip set if using an internal wifi in a notebook) so people are not going to be able to give you a definitive answer.
My best advice is to connect your computer to the router with a cat-5 network cable, I have extremely high confidence that will work.
Knoppix support for wifi hardware is very spotty. I have several computers and many wifi adapters, but I have only found one card that will work with Knoppix, even though other CD distros recognize several of the other cards. Other people do report better luck with different hardware.
I've also had bad luck getting any version of 5.x to work, even with the one card that did work fine in 4.02. Again,some others report success, but I'm very discouraged by the state of wifi in Knoppix.
Yes, you are absolutely correct, this has been asked many many times before, and if you take the time to read through old posts you will learn much.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
As Harry says, the first step is to connect via a cable. That then allows you to eliminate drivers, faulty network card, router problems etc., as the cause of your non-connectivity.
If you use the "Search" link at the top of this page and type connect to internet, you should see previous threads where this was discussed.
-
thanks for the help.
unfortunately it looks like i can't connect to the internet 
does anyone know of a Live CD that can go on the internet easily and is good at doing work?
-
Linux for connecting to internet
This may not seem kosher, but I understand your problem as a newbee to Linux, so I'm going to be honest in an explanatory way.
1. Knoppix is a good Linux system when used within the boundaries for which it was designed, and I suggest you keep working with it and following the updates and improvements.
2. For having a reliable Linux system that is easy to connect to the Internet and which can be more useful in the ways you seem to desire, I'd try another Debian based system called Ubuntu 9.10.
I use Ubuntu for my desktop, but use Knoppix for working with customers' computers when I need to get into the system to rework some issues, so I keep up with what it offers. However, I don't believe it is practical for what you need as it is not as reliable for connecting to the internet, seeing and connecting to other computers and for looking at PC based drives.
My main computer dual boots Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and my alternate computer quad boots Windows 7 - Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu and Windows XP-Pro - for technical reasons to help my customers who use a variety of OS's.
I've found Knoppix to be a valuable tool, and a good system in it's own right, but you seem to want to learn Linux and use it as a every-day system on a computer. For that reason, I recommend you obtain a copy of Ubuntu 9.10 and buy a book on that system.
Good luck.
Similar Threads
-
By Canard blanc in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-18-2009, 04:24 AM
-
By pennywhistle in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-27-2007, 01:56 PM
-
By solbergg in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
-
By phil66 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-10-2005, 05:45 PM
-
By RyNe in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91

New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed
$466.65

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)
$999.99

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter
$59.99

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB
$285.00

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97