Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Viruses and Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2

    Viruses and Knoppix

    Hello all,

    Just wondering if anyone knew, if I boot knoppix off of a cd and just use it to browse the web, am I able to get a windows virus since windows is installed on the HD?

    I wanted to use an old laptop and boot knoppix off cd to log into bank accounts and such since there really aren't any linux viruses, but was wondering if I could still get viruses since windows is on the HD and I'm accessing the HD, or if windows needs to actually be running for windows viruses to function.


    thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    uhm, if you download the virus it may infect your computer when you start windows, but... not very likely.
    the virus will to 95%+ certainty be just another file as it is not set to run at boot.
    true if you edit some files (regedit) it may become active, but that is basically to manually install the virus, not very likley and not very bright.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the info. Since I'd be using an old computer, I'd probably never boot windows again. I'd only use it to boot Knoppix off of cd to surf the web.

    So as long as I only boot off cd I guess I'd be safe.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Using the knoppix CD to surf the web, itis not possible to get a virus.

    However if you downloaded an email with infected attachement, it wont harm linux, but could
    infect a windows system if opened

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX USA
    Posts
    11

    Some Related Questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    Using the knoppix CD to surf the web, itis not possible to get a virus.

    However if you downloaded an email with infected attachement, it wont harm linux, but could
    infect a windows system if opened
    Hi... I'm a Linux NewBee and have some basic questions.

    Do you mean... if I open the infected email, or attachment, in a net email account while I'm using Windows, then it can infect my Windows O/S - right?
    -lin
    Not that it can effect my Windows system, if I open the infected email, or attachment, in Linux - right?

    Or, can such an infection affect my Windows system, if I just open it, while I'm using Linux - when I shut it down, and later boot Windows???

    And... related... I got Linux because I thought, it would allow me to surf the web with much lower liklihood of being infected with a trojan, or a key logger. Is that correct?

    I would like to use my system of online financial transactions, with little risk of a key logger capturing my security codes, and allowing a breach of my accounts. Will using Linux allow me to achieve that?

    Also - should I use Linux to conduct my financial transactions, or should I use it only for all my other web browsing, and restrict Windows for conducting my financial transactions? I'd like to use Windows, because I suspect it has greater compatibility with some of my financial sites.

    Forgive my rudimentary questions - I'm not a "techy" and have never used Linux before this past weekend.

    Thanks for your help.

    GF

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 02:43 AM
  2. Newbie Needs to scan for viruses using Knoppix 4.0.2 live CD
    By sammy1971 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 10:25 PM
  3. Viruses found
    By hesa666 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 02:37 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99