-
Senior Member
registered user
"Starting the X Window System..."
~
I am starting knoppix 5.1.1 with the following cheatcode on a box with the hardware you can see (Ethernet info deleted).
~
The thing is that when I go "init 5", I see how the X Window System starts
~
root!tt1:/# init 5
Executing /etc/init.d/xsession
...
~
but it all stops like this:
~
Probing/Loading AGP modules ...
Starting the X Window System ...
~
Also the most annoying thing is that it does not happen consistently
~
Where in the X Window System or wherever should I look into in order to debug this problem?
~
Thank you
lbrtchx
~
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ dmesg | grep knoppix
Kernel command line: ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce loglevel=0 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix BOOT_IMAGE=linux init 2 xmodule=vesa fb1280x1024 depth=16 bootfrom=/dev/hdb5
~
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2010344 565248 1445096 0 18992 296688
-/+ buffers/cache: 249568 1760776
Swap: 0 0 0
~
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Unknown device 0662 (rev 01)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
Memory behind bridge: fdb00000-fdbfffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d8000000-dfffffff
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Unknown device 0966 (rev 59)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01) (prog-if 80 [Master])
Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS5513 EIDE Controller (A,B step)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 128, IRQ 16
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at 4000 [size=16]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer Unknown device c5f0
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 52, IRQ 22
I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
I/O ports at fd00 [size=128]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer Unknown device 3086
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
Memory at fdfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer Unknown device 3086
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
Memory at fdffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer Unknown device 3086
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
Memory at fdffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Unknown device 1183 (rev 02) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Unknown device 1183
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at fb00 [size=8]
I/O ports at fa00 [size=4]
I/O ports at f900 [size=8]
I/O ports at f800 [size=4]
I/O ports at f700 [size=16]
I/O ports at f600 [size=128]
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff
Memory behind bridge: fda00000-fdafffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fde00000-00000000fdefffff
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
Memory behind bridge: fdd00000-fddfffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fdc00000-00000000fdcfffff
Capabilities: <access denied>
00:1f.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff
Memory behind bridge: fd900000-fd9fffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fd800000-00000000fd8fffff
Capabilities: <access denied>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760/761 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer Unknown device 3086
Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel, IRQ 10
BIST result: 00
Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at fdbe0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
I/O ports at df00 [size=128]
Capabilities: <access denied>
knoppix@Knoppix:~$
Similar Threads
-
By montalegrejorge in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
-
By onemustfall in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-27-2007, 07:14 PM
-
By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-13-2006, 05:45 AM
-
By jlgarcia in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-04-2006, 08:52 PM
-
By cumulus in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5" SSD Laptop XBOX PS3 PC
$119.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99