-
Interested in migrating-- Newbie questions
My Windows XP got corrupted for the second time, and I am ready to migrate to Linux via Knoppix. I have a few questions:
[1] My NTFS files are still intact. Do I need to add a Linux partition? Would it be safer to do this on a new hard drive?
[2] Running some Knoppix web browsers, I don't seem to have Flash, so no access to YouTube. Is there a fix?
[3] OO Draw doesn't want to open my Corel Draw v.12 documents-- it hangs. Any suggestions?
[4] Yahoo mail says it doesn't support Iceweasel or Konqueror. Is that a problem--seems to work okay? I like Firefox-- can I go that way?
These are the most immediate things affecting my will to migrate. Any help would be appreciated.
CD
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
So many issues.
On 1, you likely can't just add a partition (or two) as you likely don't have unused unformatted space on the disk to do it. I'm thinking that you want to recover some files off of the NTFS partition at some point. Yes, a second hard disk would be a very good way to go. As long as the old disk is not corrupted you can read the files off of it later.
Knoppix is a Live CD. If you're considering switching from Windows to Linux I would urge you to read the warnings about not trying to use Knoppix as a distro installed to hard disk, and consider another option, such as the testing version of Debian. knoppix is based on Debian, if you like Knoppix then you should love Debian.
Icewesal is basically Firefox.
The fix for your flash issue should be to install a distro that installs properly to hard disk, then install the browsers of your choice and install flash in them.
I don't know the answer to your Corel issue. Open office isn't perfect. You might be able to run Corel under wine. You might install VMware and then keep a virtual machine with Windows installed on it for just these little issues. Or you might just leave Corel behind and focus on tools that are new to you but have soimilar functionality. I think Corel for a while was supporting Linux natively, although I'm not sure if they any longer are.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By EricCartman in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
-
By cabobrett in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-30-2004, 03:20 AM
-
By d_jedi in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
-
By Hermes02 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
-
By pez_king in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99