Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Disk mount error?

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I'm not clear on why it is trying to get to tty. I've run every version of Knoppix since 3.1 on several systems, most with hard drives but some without, and I've never seen that message.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11
    i tested my disk on my work computer and it works a treat! so i have no clue as to why it isnt working at all on my laptop! so ive ruled out missing files and burn error

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11
    the other computer didnt say waiting for usb on it before... maybe the laptop is too old?

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dudepool
    i tested my disk on my work computer and it works a treat! so i have no clue as to why it isnt working at all on my laptop! so ive ruled out missing files and burn error
    Well, you have ruled out missing files and I'll even say that if the md5 was bad it would not likely have burnt on the other system either. You haven't really ruled out the burn issue of speed, as the faster that you burn a disc that less likely it is to boot ob some marginal optical drives. I'm more inclined to think that you need the right cheat code to boot on this system, but I can't be sure it isn't a media issue yet.

    If this laptop can boot from a USB flash drive you might want to try booting Linux that way. Be warned though that even some laptops that have a USB boot option in the BIOS either will not boot a flash drive or are extremely picky about how the flash drive is created. However, I think this would be worth a try, if you saw the same error on a USB flash media boot then you could completely rule out media issues. Apparently the latest version of Knoppix can install itself to a large flash drive, but I don't have any that are suitable for it and have never done it. I have used other much smaller Linux distros to create a bootable flash drive on a small 64 meg flash drive. I think Puppy Linux can do this, but if not try DSL (it's been ages since I've done this and I don't trust my memory on which I used).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #15
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dudepool
    the other computer didnt say waiting for usb on it before... maybe the laptop is too old?
    I've booted Knoppix on old Pentium 90 systems and even 486s (although low memory can make them too slow to actually use and even the boot can take several minutes). This was older Knoppix versions, but I doubt that it is an age of the laptop issue. What are the specs on the laptop, but I doubt that is really the issue and I do expect that if you find the right cheat codes(s) that you can get it to boot.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11
    i dont think my bios supports booting from usb because in the boot options there is only:

    atapi cd-rom drive
    hard disk
    diskette drive

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11
    im not sure on any other specs other than that it has 64mb of ram, it is a notebook if you wanted to search it the model is sony vaio pcg-n505x

  8. #18
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I'm not going to spend time tracking down the specs, but if it has 64 meg of RAM then I'll go ahead and pronounce it too limited. With a hard drive you could have a swap file, but it would be overly slow as it swapped memory in and out of disk, without a swap file you are certainly not going to run the GUI, and I have doubts if you can even run the command line prompt (Linux has become bloated just like Windows). As a test you could type knoppix 2 at the boot prompt and try to boot into a command prompt shell but don't get your hopes up.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11
    when i typed knoppix 2 it just said loading linux.......... then went to the normal screen

    but your saying even if it did work i wouldnt be able to run linux?

  10. #20
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dudepool
    when i typed knoppix 2 it just said loading linux.......... then went to the normal screen

    but your saying even if it did work i wouldnt be able to run linux?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the normal screen", unless you mean that error you have reported.

    64 meg is too little to run the GUI. And this is due to bloat. You certainly could run Linux (the operating system) on that computer, but in shell mode (command line text mode). But that might not give you what you want, depending on what you hope to do with the OS once you have it running. Browising the web with a graphical web browser would be out, for example, although you could still download files with FTP or use other internet tools that are non-graphical. Think DOS.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot Mount Hard Disk
    By Varkie in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 06:06 PM
  2. isolinux: disk error 01, AX=42080d, disk=9F
    By bottomer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM
  3. Mount error after duplicating disk with DD
    By JPWhite in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 12:55 AM
  4. Can I mount a 2nd hard disk if BIOS can't detect it?
    By Blisset in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 06:50 PM
  5. Auto mount of hard disk drive
    By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00