As root:
apt-get install automake1.6 1.6.3-6
Should do the trick. That's odd that it isn't installed. It should be.
I now have a hard disk installation of knoppix3.2.
I tried installing the drivers for my hsp 56 modem but in the "make" process I get an error stating that I don not have "automake-1.6-gnu installed".
Where to get this file or package?
As root:
apt-get install automake1.6 1.6.3-6
Should do the trick. That's odd that it isn't installed. It should be.
I solved it by reinstalling. I could have tried apt-get but I do not have a fast internet connection.
Perhaps there was a glitch in my previous install?
thanks anyway!

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00
Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
Intel Xeon W-2245 3.90Ghz 8 Core 16.5MB CPU Processor SRH02
$140.00
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00
Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98