-
Unable to mount Vista HD, Help!
I have Dell Inspiron laptop running Vista 32 that crashed about 2 months ago. I'm not sure why it crashed, but it gave me trouble after trying to install a printer driver. Then one day it ran a chkdsk on startup, and never booted again. It won't boot in safe mode, and none of the startup repair or system restore points worked. All I have left is restore factory settings, but I'm trying to extract my data before I do that.
I'm a smart girl, but I don't do code. I'm learning what I can, but the Knoppix Live 6 comes up with an error, "unable to mount device", when I try to access my HD files (wanting to copy them to another hard drive). I've looked up trying to force it to mount the drive, which brings me into using code... I've tried:
su root
mount/dev/sda3
and I'm told no such file or directory exists. (Same with sda1, but it looks like my drive comes up as sda3). I've tried:
su root
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -o force (and -0 and -O, since I couldn't tell what that was)
and a help tutorial of commands appears.
So, since my brain has absorbed as much as I can force it to at the moment, could someone please tell me, 1) am I doing something wrong? 2)is there something else (like Ultimate Boot CD, which I've created but don't know how to use) I should try? or 3) can I be put out of my misery and accept that I've done everything I can and I should just reformat the drive? (and if so, what should I use for file recovery after the drive has been reformatted?) Thank you for easing my tired, troubled mind, I hope!
Bridget
Similar Threads
-
By kkomw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
-
By Sandeep in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-24-2007, 09:13 AM
-
Replies: 24
Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
-
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

G-Technology G-SPEED Shuttle XL 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID ENCLOSURE ONLY
$550.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99

Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers
$164.95