Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Unable to mount Vista HD, Help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    Unable to mount Vista HD, Help!

    I have Dell Inspiron laptop running Vista 32 that crashed about 2 months ago. I'm not sure why it crashed, but it gave me trouble after trying to install a printer driver. Then one day it ran a chkdsk on startup, and never booted again. It won't boot in safe mode, and none of the startup repair or system restore points worked. All I have left is restore factory settings, but I'm trying to extract my data before I do that.

    I'm a smart girl, but I don't do code. I'm learning what I can, but the Knoppix Live 6 comes up with an error, "unable to mount device", when I try to access my HD files (wanting to copy them to another hard drive). I've looked up trying to force it to mount the drive, which brings me into using code... I've tried:

    su root
    mount/dev/sda3

    and I'm told no such file or directory exists. (Same with sda1, but it looks like my drive comes up as sda3). I've tried:

    su root
    mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -o force (and -0 and -O, since I couldn't tell what that was)

    and a help tutorial of commands appears.

    So, since my brain has absorbed as much as I can force it to at the moment, could someone please tell me, 1) am I doing something wrong? 2)is there something else (like Ultimate Boot CD, which I've created but don't know how to use) I should try? or 3) can I be put out of my misery and accept that I've done everything I can and I should just reformat the drive? (and if so, what should I use for file recovery after the drive has been reformatted?) Thank you for easing my tired, troubled mind, I hope!

    Bridget

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't know the full answer for your problem, and unfortunately sometimes Windows just mucks up a partition so much that Knoppix can't mount it.

    A few concepts that you should be aware of though: sda, sdb, sdc and so on are drives, with sda being the first SATA drive.
    sda1, sda2, sda3, and sda4 are parimary partitions on the sta drive, and sta5 on up are logical drives on an extended partition if one exists. Of course, you mount partitions, not drives. I'm hard pressed to know why you would have sta3 and not sta1. Not saying that you can't, just doesn't seem right.

    Occasionally Windows messes up it's own partition table, and can't find the partitions. In this case Knoppix can recover the partition table with either the gpart or testdisk commands. Type man gpart or man testdisk at a shell prompt for details. gpart takes a little more thinking to use, as there are more command line switches, but I consider it far better and safer than testdisk, which gives up a lot of control.

Similar Threads

  1. unable to mount partition
    By kkomw in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
  2. unable to mount vfat...
    By Sandeep in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 09:13 AM
  3. Unable to mount /tmp/app/1
    By xmonkee in forum Klik
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
  4. Unable to mount /dev/app/1 [solution]
    By garbas in forum Klik
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM
  5. unable to mount /mnt/app/1
    By NepoMUC in forum Klik
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 50x Samsung 32GB DDR4-2400T ECC 2Rx4 PC4-19200 M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q Server RAM picture

Lot 50x Samsung 32GB DDR4-2400T ECC 2Rx4 PC4-19200 M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q Server RAM

$12750.00



SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT picture

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT

$150.00



SK hynix 16GB PC4-2133P DDR4 ECC Registered RDIMM 288-Pin picture

SK hynix 16GB PC4-2133P DDR4 ECC Registered RDIMM 288-Pin

$65.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-R DDR4 RDIMM ECC Memory MTA36ASF8G72PZ-2G9B2 picture

Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-R DDR4 RDIMM ECC Memory MTA36ASF8G72PZ-2G9B2

$394.00



Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R DDR3 ECC RDIMM M393B2G70DB0-CMA picture

Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R DDR3 ECC RDIMM M393B2G70DB0-CMA

$49.99



SK HYNIX HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB PC4-2400T RDIMM Server RAM picture

SK HYNIX HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB PC4-2400T RDIMM Server RAM

$289.95