-
Unable to mount Vista HD, Help!
I have Dell Inspiron laptop running Vista 32 that crashed about 2 months ago. I'm not sure why it crashed, but it gave me trouble after trying to install a printer driver. Then one day it ran a chkdsk on startup, and never booted again. It won't boot in safe mode, and none of the startup repair or system restore points worked. All I have left is restore factory settings, but I'm trying to extract my data before I do that.
I'm a smart girl, but I don't do code. I'm learning what I can, but the Knoppix Live 6 comes up with an error, "unable to mount device", when I try to access my HD files (wanting to copy them to another hard drive). I've looked up trying to force it to mount the drive, which brings me into using code... I've tried:
su root
mount/dev/sda3
and I'm told no such file or directory exists. (Same with sda1, but it looks like my drive comes up as sda3). I've tried:
su root
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -o force (and -0 and -O, since I couldn't tell what that was)
and a help tutorial of commands appears.
So, since my brain has absorbed as much as I can force it to at the moment, could someone please tell me, 1) am I doing something wrong? 2)is there something else (like Ultimate Boot CD, which I've created but don't know how to use) I should try? or 3) can I be put out of my misery and accept that I've done everything I can and I should just reformat the drive? (and if so, what should I use for file recovery after the drive has been reformatted?) Thank you for easing my tired, troubled mind, I hope!
Bridget
Similar Threads
-
By kkomw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
-
By Sandeep in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-24-2007, 09:13 AM
-
Replies: 24
Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
-
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse
$995.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus
$12.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Game Pack 5 On New 400K Double Density Disk
$39.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse
$1799.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00