Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: USB boot Knoppix 6.0.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    USB boot Knoppix 6.0.1

    I want to have a usb drive that I can boot Knoppix from. I did the knoppix install to flash drive and it said it did it with no errors. Then I tried to boot my computer from it and it makes the thumb drive flash quickly and then boot error comes up and that is all that is given. I even used Gparted to look at the drive and make sure that the drive was flagged bootable. Is there a step I am missing? Well I am going to go and keep trying things thanks for any input in advance.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    33

    a solution to USB key install

    itmike,

    I used the procedure outlined at this URL and it worked fine.

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key


    After doing this, I decided to buy a USB hard drive. It was formatted as FAT32.

    I booted Knoppix from the live CD and used the 'install to Flash' tool to install the
    system to the hard drive (be sure to select the proper drive). It works GREAT.
    There are many upgrades to the libs, and such, that are necessary to install
    other programs, but all in all it is pretty straightforward.

    John

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14
    I to have bought Knoppix 6 Adriane on USB and would like to know how to use the install to Flash' tool as I am not at all sure how it is done. I also have the the Knoppix 6 Adriane on disk. Any information will be appreciated.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14
    Its ok I have worked it out.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    I have a problem booting knoppix 6 from usb flash. I have changed the boot settings to start with removable flash drive. And instantly I get boot error, I hit enter and again BOOT ERROR. I tried on my sisters laptop and it worked just fine... Maybe it's my hardware? I use athlon 4000+ 2gb ram g8600 mother board asus M2NBP-VM CSM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    May have to do with type or size of flash drive

    I could not make Knoppix boot from bigger than 512MB sticks on most PCs when I used Corsair. With Kingston DataTraveler or Lexar Thumbdrive, I seldom have problems (512MB-16GB sticks) with newer BIOSes, but more often with older - in which case installing to USB hard drive may be best way out. An emergency solution is to install GRUB on the hard drive, and make the USB stick a booting alternative for GRUB.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    I even tried simple usb mem test http://www.pendrivelinux.com/testing...compatibility/ and even that gave me a BOOT ERROR. My BIOS isn't old I guess 2007.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    If even the simple test failed, then have no expectations..

    You don't give any data on PC, BIOS or even usb flash make and model, so it's impossible to help you more. The relatively new BIOS iis in itself no proof it will boot from USB, a 2006 ASUS laptop is one of the exceptions I have found to the "rule" that Lexar Thumdrives will boot "anywhere".
    BIOS upgrades may in some cases come to the rescue.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    My PC: AMD athlon 4000+, 2gb kingstone rams, MSI G8600 video card, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM specifications on motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131072 (the only problem with it, that integrated LAN board broke) BIOS dunno how to look up after reboot I will to search some info in it. USB storage is APACER AH323 4GB black

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I would have tried with other&smaller USB sticks first, try e.g. a 2GB Lexar Thumbdrive. Then I would have upgraded the BIOS, which I read that has had some problems on this motherboard. ASUS even boasts about the simplicity of BIOS upgrades. Next resort is using GRUB as bootloader and make that start the USB stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air picture

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air

$419.59



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015 picture

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015

$26.98



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99