hello.
I'm dual booting windows xp, and ubuntu, booting off the knoppix live cd.
I'm following this guide from a textbook using knoppix to access the shadow file, that stores the root password. So, I start up my command line shell, and fdisk -l doesn't work.. however, because it's my laptop, i know the password, i logged on, and checked that i'm using the sda2 partition for linux (sda1 for windows).
next step is to mount the sda2,
# mount /dev/sda2 mountpoint
(where 'mountpoint' is a empty directory i made)..
I've checked in the /dev/ folder that i do have sda1 - sda15, however
i get these two errors:
modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-8
mount: /dev/sda2 is not a valid block device
I have checked after I rebooted that sda2 is my partition for linux, and it exists in my /dev folder, so I'm confused. I did see a post with a similar question, but nobody responded, and it was really old.
As for the block-major-8 error, a lot of posts were talking about booting from their usb and having issues with that, so that seems very unrelated.
Thanks in advance.

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$8.00
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.62