-
How do you customize the KDE menu?
I want to get rid of some of the menu items in the default Knoppix boot. Is it as simple as exporting DISPLAY and running Kmenuedit from your chroot'ed custom environment?
Thanks,
Lawrence Riske
-
as far as i can remeber, the kde cofiguration is stored in /etc/skel/.kde (or something like that).
So you have to modify this files. An easy way of doing this is, to configure KDE for your knoppix user and then copy the ~/.kde directory to /etc/skel/.kde.
That's the way I did it.
so long,
red
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: How do you customize the KDE menu?

Originally Posted by
lgriske
I want to get rid of some of the menu items in the default Knoppix boot. Is it as simple as exporting DISPLAY and running Kmenuedit from your chroot'ed custom environment?
Or.. run kmenuedit from CD, and copy the .kde files from ~/.kde to your chrooted /etc/skel/.kde
That method also works for the bookmark bar and color themes etc .
-
Works like a champ. Thanks for the help. I had already tried that, but it looks like when I copied the directories to /etc/skel I forgot the recursive switch. arrg.
Thanks again for the help,
L. Riske
-
Disappearing Menu Items
Other things that got me that you might want to look out for. Sorry if some of this seems obvious.
1) It's probably something I did, but if knoppix doesn't have permissions to the /etc/skel/.kde items they won't get copied on boot and you won't see them.
All items should be owner: root, group: root, permissions: rwxr-xr-x. These dirs get copied to the /home/knoppix dir during all that boot time magic. It looks like they get chgrp'ed and chown'ed to knoppix at that time.
You can do this in a root shell by "chmod -R 755 /etc/skel/.kde/"
2) KDE menu items are files such as Mutt.desktop. You can view and modify their contents with vi.
I noticed that sometimes menu items would simply disappear after modifying them in KMenuEditor. What happens is that a line that reads:
Hidden=false
gets removed somehow. Manually putting that back into the .desktop file brought the item back.
Thanks,
L. Riske
-
Junior Member
registered user
I noticed this thread and had an Idea, but didn't know if it would work. I was thinking of changing KDE the using the create a persistant home directory then copying that dir structure to the /etc/skel directory. Would that work or am I missing something?
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By jyu613 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:58 PM
-
By xoroz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-09-2004, 01:08 AM
-
By mgsimon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-24-2003, 02:29 AM
-
By newkno in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 07:59 PM
-
By rickenbacherus in forum News
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67

Trucozie Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Self-Standing Lightweight Stick Vacuum New Ope
$89.00