-
Kernel Development, Rtlinux- W/ Knoppix /W a side of Ubuntu~
Hi, I have been working off base here with another distro 5.1 math , knoppix for the sake of a lab, and gaming programmer.
While I was on knoppix this summer I came across this post, and have put this off until now, but the thing is I have also been working closely with the same kernel as luis, the 2.6.29.6-rt23 rt-kernel freely available online.
I have been attempting to boot knoppix with this kernel using the kernel changing tutorials found on the wiki, however you know how those wiki's are sometimes they leave out idle info's like in my case how the patches are required and how the ini and the initrd should be compiled with out the use of functional modules?
any one want to do a walk through on this or a blogg separate to this?
and one for /Ubuntu is fine I’m sure the minirt.gz in knoppix is similarity helpful in the modules for knoppix. as passing the knoppix operating parameters on to the kernel built modules via the initrd=/boot/minitr.gz option
The boiled down question is relative to Knoppix and to Ubuntu is how would I create a dual boot system with both the Knoppix gaming lab (compiler+forensic set) and the testing distro Ubuntu prototyping set??
My layout as stated is:
KNOPPIX Ubuntu Windows
RTKERN
Grub
Coreboot
|OpenBios____________________
|F-code 4th Language JAVASCRIPTING
|Bitecode_____|
I could really use some help on this. I’m planing on using grub2, however I currently have only grub-legacy on the MRB. I would like to upgrade for chainloading and pxe boot as compiled options
to become available. Itl a big puzzle for me at this point I would be most appreciative for support or any help/advice on the rtlinux--to--Knoppix crossover for kernel replacments. Ive read the Wiki on it and its just not making since to me. I see the wiki as stating that I need to patch the kernel with a knoppix patch , the rtkernel I downloaded is a prepatcher rt version so Its hot out of the box.
I have attempted to boot it with a dummy initrd from busy box that gives me a busybox shell with no keyboard!! I have also attempted to boot with the generic minirt.gz thats on the default 2.6.19
kern. That also gives a shell . at nomac 2 with no keyboard functionality! 
The assumption im going to make is that all the module fun I did with the compiling of the kern was not loaded with the inirtd of course because I didnt create the initrd for this kernel yet!.
Alternatively however, without the dummy initrd the system hangs anyways at boot waiting to find the ini file where as I have no ini file for the kernel ether and It simply stalls looking for that and around the firewire boot also mentioned in the forum.
currently available is my knoppix disrto as a compiler distro it uses the 2.6.19 kernel with the usual patches (knoppix setup.c patch) and a slab.c patch along with a ksize, lhash, and fuse patches.
I would also like to upgrade all compiler tools on this disrto for newer 4.3+ compiler toolset under the usual /usr/src/toolset. however in knoppix it seems all compiler tools are preinstalled in the /usr/src and there darn difficult to update to the newer sets (so far).
:P
So.. any one want to join me in this for a joint adventure?
jason
Similar Threads
-
By transistortoaster in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-08-2005, 03:49 PM
-
By 200104523 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 11:34 AM
-
By Sirius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-29-2004, 04:41 PM
-
By jaime in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2004, 06:34 PM
-
By HCSS in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES
$85.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95