-
To HDD install or Not
A few observations about Knoppix HDD install VS Debian install as advised by this forum.
I ran Knoppix 5.1.1 HDD install on Dell latitude CPi 400MHx PII 256MB RAM. It ran better that anything else, Puppy, Feather, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, DSL, to name a few. Way better. It did just about everything extremely well, except play CD's a function really needed for a musician.
I got a set of Debian lenny DVD's to install with. I now have music. I must say that installing Debian opened up a whole new can of worms that had to be iorned out. Knoppix 5.1.1 would install on my 4.6GB HDD, but Debian Lenny did not like it. Luckily I found a 20GB HDD
I tried running Knoppix live 6.0.1 on the laptop, and it would not work at all. Runs poorly on my ASUS A7N8X-X W/ AMD Athlon 1.8 Gig CPU machine. Can't imagine anyone installing it on old equipment. A friend said that he could not get it to run on any of his Dell P4 computers.
I would not suggest asking the Debian Forums about Knoppix HDD install, as most of the people will not want to help you and refer you back to Knoppix forums who will refer you to Debian forums who will .........
It is too bad that Knoppix does not truly support HDD install. I can see that there are over 180 pages of questions about HDD install. That is a lot of Demand for something that almost works.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer
$649.95

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED
$399.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99