Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Identifying drives

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    Identifying drives

    I want to use the dd command from a Knoppix 5.1.1 CD to clone one SATA HDD to another, larger SATA HDD.
    The drives are detected as sda and sdb.
    How can I be sure which is which? I don't want to clone in the wrong direction and lose all data.
    The HDD I want to clone is damaged and no partitions can be found. The target HDD contains no partitions.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    OK, I figured it out.
    I have to put: sudo fdisk -l
    Then I get to see details of all drives, including the size in GBs. I still think I'd be stuck if I were cloning to a drive which was exactly the same size as my source drive.
    Is there a definite rule, eg: the drive attached to SATA 1 is always sda, etc?

Similar Threads

  1. CD and DVD drives
    By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
  2. Partioning Drives etc etc....
    By giant_toaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
  3. Easy way to fix your cd-dvd drives
    By Romkillah in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
  4. why can't I mount all my drives
    By Eradicator in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:07 AM
  5. 2 CD drives...
    By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$34.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520 picture

Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520

$29.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 x SanDisk Plus SDSSDA 2.5

2 x SanDisk Plus SDSSDA 2.5" 240GB Solid State Drive

$29.50



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00