Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Identifying drives

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    Identifying drives

    I want to use the dd command from a Knoppix 5.1.1 CD to clone one SATA HDD to another, larger SATA HDD.
    The drives are detected as sda and sdb.
    How can I be sure which is which? I don't want to clone in the wrong direction and lose all data.
    The HDD I want to clone is damaged and no partitions can be found. The target HDD contains no partitions.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    OK, I figured it out.
    I have to put: sudo fdisk -l
    Then I get to see details of all drives, including the size in GBs. I still think I'd be stuck if I were cloning to a drive which was exactly the same size as my source drive.
    Is there a definite rule, eg: the drive attached to SATA 1 is always sda, etc?

Similar Threads

  1. CD and DVD drives
    By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
  2. Partioning Drives etc etc....
    By giant_toaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
  3. Easy way to fix your cd-dvd drives
    By Romkillah in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
  4. why can't I mount all my drives
    By Eradicator in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:07 AM
  5. 2 CD drives...
    By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$380.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor

$360.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED

$300.00



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Advantech ARK-3500 Fanless Industrial PC i7-3610QE 8GB        picture

Advantech ARK-3500 Fanless Industrial PC i7-3610QE 8GB

$200.00