Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: trying to recover my files using knoppix ....

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2

    trying to recover my files using knoppix ....

    I have windows XP
    it crashed after I uninstalled norton
    I have 40gb of files that I need to recover
    Im using the knoppix cd,I can access the files, but when I copy them to a USB drive then plug it to another laptop(has windows vista) I cannot see the files, sometimes I do see them but I cannot open them, they are altered in a way
    for example an mp3 will play 5seconds but not the whole 3minutes
    a textfile will be empty or only show the first line
    etc...
    its really frustrating
    I think Im doing something wrong,
    please let me know
    p.s: I bought a new usb key because at some point i thought the other one wasnt working, but Im still having the same trouble

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If your USB drive is formatted with NTFS, them you have likely corrupted the NTFS partition. Knoppix can not safely write to NTFS (There are those who believe otherwise, but I've seen too many posts of problem to convert to their beliefs). I would not ever use a NTFS drive that Knoppix has written to until I completely reformat it.

    If it is a FAT partitioned drive then were you careful to unmount the drive before moving it to the other system? You must unmount a Linux drive before disconnecting it. (You would have to do this with a NTFS drive too, but that hardly matters since the drive will be corrupt before you can unmount it).

    Personally, I recover files with Knoppix by installing a FTP server on a Windows box, and use Konquror under Knoppix as an FTP client on the recovery machine, transferring the files across a network. There are many free FTP servers for Windows that can be used for this. There are many other ways to recover files also, no one solution is right for everyone.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Have you tried the free data recovery tools out there?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thank you guys for the prompt reply.
    I tried the ftp thingy before, it says connection stalled
    it creates the folders and then it copies like 5mb and stops
    I turned off the firewall

    when I try to unmount the usb it gives me an error msg


    and for the recovery, I dont wanna take the risk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 04:46 PM
  2. USING KNOPPIX TO RECOVER WINDOWS FILES?
    By GDASHAFE101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 02:48 AM
  3. using knoppix to try to recover windows files
    By richpodraza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
  4. Using Knoppix to Recover MAC files?
    By madmike in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
  5. How do you recover Window files via Knoppix?
    By go2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99