Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Identifying drives

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    Identifying drives

    I want to use the dd command from a Knoppix 5.1.1 CD to clone one SATA HDD to another, larger SATA HDD.
    The drives are detected as sda and sdb.
    How can I be sure which is which? I don't want to clone in the wrong direction and lose all data.
    The HDD I want to clone is damaged and no partitions can be found. The target HDD contains no partitions.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    OK, I figured it out.
    I have to put: sudo fdisk -l
    Then I get to see details of all drives, including the size in GBs. I still think I'd be stuck if I were cloning to a drive which was exactly the same size as my source drive.
    Is there a definite rule, eg: the drive attached to SATA 1 is always sda, etc?

Similar Threads

  1. CD and DVD drives
    By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
  2. Partioning Drives etc etc....
    By giant_toaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
  3. Easy way to fix your cd-dvd drives
    By Romkillah in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 04:43 PM
  4. why can't I mount all my drives
    By Eradicator in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:07 AM
  5. 2 CD drives...
    By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS

$59.99



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage picture

Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage

$39.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested picture

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested

$28.49