-
Re: Knoppix 6.0.1 on a Toshiba Satellite

Originally Posted by
mejohnsn

Originally Posted by
vegasfan32
I have a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Celeron processor. I bought a Knoppix Live cd from OSdisc.com. It will boot to the startup screen but then the screen freezes and the cd drive stops and the disc is ejected.
Please be a little more specific about which "Toshiba Satellite" you are booting. They usually have a long model number such as M105-S3064, which is also at least 3 years old.
Also what "start up screen" are you referring to? Did you get to "init level 5" (Xwindows graphics)? Or do you get this same problem even when booting to single user w/o graphics?
If you can get to single user w/o graphics, then you can at least execute "lspci" to see what pci hardware Knoppix has recognized. The output of 'dmesg' would also be helpful, since it lists the "kernel ring buffer", status/error messages the kernel writes while booting.
In fact, I finally got around to trying booting the 6.01 Knoppix LiveCD on my M105-S3064, and it works fine: I had a little trouble getting the NetworkManager to recognize my access point, but recognize it did. I am now connecting to the net running the LiveCD.
That "little trouble" was: at first, NetworkManager Applet reported no access points, but after I executed "sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <name of ap here>", it worked.
BW: I didn't buy the LiveCD from anyone: I downloaded the torrent, ran a P2P client to save the ISO image, and used unetbootin to make the LiveCD on a USB stick.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-25-2005, 08:01 AM
-
By nerbas in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 12:35 PM
-
By redliner in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 03:11 AM
-
By toohey in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-07-2004, 05:05 PM
-
By bureado in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5ββ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60