My grub.cfg file has bad data which prevents me from booting Debian Squeeze. The question is how do I change permissions so I can edit the file, or edit the files the configurator uses to write grub.cfg in the first place?
I have searched this forum and others looking for a solution. E.g., right clicking the partition's icon and changing the permissions to writable failed, as did mounting the partition, and chroot. (an error msg said cannot run /bin/bash : Exec format error.) Opening the file in an editor from root didn't work either; before or after attempts to change permissions.
Since some of these solutions have worked for others, at least on Win machines, the possibility is that I've screwed up.
Suggestions will be welcomed with open arms and mind.
cheers,
gary

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus
$64.95
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested
$139.99
Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different
$29.99
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99
Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984
$179.99