-
Hanging when loading aic7xxx.o
Hi!
I am new to Linux...I just downloaded Knoppix, trying to boot off the cd.
At the initial screen I hit enter, it starts loading, then it hangs at:
Probing SCSI.... aic7xxx.o
What may be the possible cause 
I have the Tosiba 1905-s301 Laptop.
P4 2.0/256 DDR.
ATI M6-P Video.
Any suggestions will be help.
Thanks.
Shoaib
-
Toshiba/expert mode
Hi,
i can confirm the same problem on a Toshiba Sattelite 1110.
Knoppix boots fine though in "expert" mode.
Strange is that the yes/no questions dont even ask about scsi.
After using the "copy to hd" script,,it wont boot the "expert" mode and crash again.
Question is which kernel option does Knoppix really use when in "expert mode" ? Or is it another kernel?
I cant find anything in lilo.conf even though there is the expert option in boot menu.
All other Debian CDs i tried crash at some point while booting,only one that works perfect is Knoppix in expert mode.(as long as it stays on CD)
I was expecting the script to copy everything as is to harddisk,but obviously it must do something different then from CD.
Must be possible to get that working on hd somehow..
-
Toshiba 1110 S103
Also has this exact problem on a Toshiba Satellite S103. I would like to find a good solution.
-
one temporary solution for me was Lindows OS.
not saying its so cool,cause its commercial,,but there is also debian under it,and for my case there wasnt much to choose from, there i have a working debian console with apt-get.
as soon as there is a new way to use Knoppix,i will still certainly prefer Knoppix.
-
DELL i 2500
on normal boot from knoppix it hangs on probing scsi statement but using failsafe I was able to boot and later I configured all the devices I needed.
I'm not able to understand what did failsafe option actually do. Kernel already knew after booting the ide devices present.
Also on booting it is saying undefined mode and on hitting return it gives an 9 options and scap option. Any ideas what that could be?
I'm new to knoppix but I guess as yet it looks wonderful to me.
-Manish
-
Senior Member
registered user
just say 'noscsi', which seems to be needed on many laptops. In fact, I think this should be the default as there is much more people using notebooks than people using scsi devices.
As for other debian(like those boot disk downloaded from debian.org), they are also not notebook friendly(at least newer ones) as they have those RAID device etc. loaded by default. Which also hang on my Dell inspiron.
But both KNOPPIX and debian boots without problem on my 5 years old NEC P100 notebook. Luckily, KNOPPIX gives me the noscsi option which allows me to 'introduce' linux to my inspiron and now I am using linux 80% of the time.
However, I still think IDEPCI(without any other RAID/SCSI driver) should be the default as that is the most common configuration. For those with these high end devices, they should be knowledgeable enough to know what to load.
Similar Threads
-
By Filip Rosco in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-13-2005, 04:43 PM
-
By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:27 AM
-
By danielgarcia in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-11-2003, 06:28 AM
-
By sjoerd in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-24-2003, 09:11 PM
-
By joe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$739.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Sony Ruggedized Raid PSZ-RA Thunderbolt 2 Portable RAID Array (12TB)
$419.00