Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Kernel update Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10

    Kernel update Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD

    Hello, I want to remaster knoppix to have gnome 2.28 as desktop.
    I managed to install gnome 2.28, as i written here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30217
    Now, Udev gives one error, and as i searched on google, I must update kernel. The 2.6.30 kernel does not have this problem.
    I tryed as this link says http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/kernel2.6.htm but when I try to
    Code:
    make-kpkg clean
    I get an error. I tryed also
    Code:
    make clean
    , another error...
    Can someone help me please? With problem of installing gnome, I tryed more than 70 times (in vmvare -copied image over and over until I managed to make it) different configurations and commands, but here, there is only one command and it does not work.
    So, How can I update the kernel?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Ok, here we go again...
    I managed somehow after googeling on the internet to do the following:
    I followed the steps from my last post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30217 until
    Code:
    apt-get install dpkg
    (inclusive)
    after that, I followed the instructions from http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/kernel2.6.htm
    Code:
    apt-get install kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot wget bzip2
    (I replaced ncurses-dev with libncurses5-dev)From this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21145 I followed the instructions
    Code:
    tar -xjf linux-2.6.31.6.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src
    cd /usr/src
    rm linux
    ln -s linux-2.6.31.6 linux
    cd linux
    Code:
    cp /boot/config-2.6.24.4 .config
    make oldconfig
    make menuconfig
    make
    make modules
    make modules_install
    Then
    Code:
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6
    cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.31.6
    cp .config /boot/config-2.6.31.6
    Code:
    cd /boot
    rm config System.map vmlinuz
    ln -s config-2.6.31.6 config
    ln -s System.map-2.6.31.6 System.map
    ln -s vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 vmlinuz
    Code:
    wget http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian....2.631-1.tar.gz
    tar -xzf cloop_2.631-1.tar.gz -C /usr/src/modules
    cd /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631
    vi Makefile
    Modify the kernel
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/make
    
    MACHINE=2.6.31.6       #I modified with my kernel
    KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux
    
    file_exist=$(shell test -f $(1) && echo yes || echo no)
    Code:
    make
    Then i obtained
    Code:
    Building for Kernel Patchlevel 6
    make modules -C /usr/src/linux M=/usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/compressed_loop.o
      LD [M]  /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/cloop.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
      CC      /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/cloop.mod.o
      LD [M]  /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/cloop.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'
    Then aufs.koFrom http://www.knoppixforum.de/knoppix-f...el-2-6-30.htmlI installed curl
    Code:
    apt-get install curl
    Code:
    git clone http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/pub/scm/aufs...standalone.git aufs2-standalone.git
    cd aufs2-standalone.git
    git checkout origin/aufs2-31
    Code:
    HEAD is now at 54e7772... aufs2 standalone version for linux-2.6.31
    Code:
    vi config.mk
    changed
    Code:
    CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG = y
    with
    Code:
    CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG =
    then I copied aufs2-base.patch and aufs2-standalone.patch to /usr/src/linux and I applied the patches
    Code:
    patch -p1 <aufs2-base.patch
    patch -p1 <aufs2-standalone.patch
    Then I go to aufs2-standalone.git directory
    Code:
    make KDIR=/usr/src/linux
    I obtained
    Code:
    make KDIR=/usr/src/linux
    -I/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/include -DCONFIG_AUFS_MODULE -UCONFIG_AUFS -DCONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_127
    make -C /usr/src/linux M=/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs EXTRA_CFLAGS="-I/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/include -DCONFIG_AUFS_MODULE -UCONFIG_AUFS -DCONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_127" modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/opts.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/vfsub.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dcsub.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/cpup.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/whout.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/plink.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/wbr_policy.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dinfo.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dentry.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/finfo.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/file.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/f_op.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dir.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/vdir.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/iinfo.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/inode.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op_add.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op_del.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op_ren.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/ioctl.o
      GEN     /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/conf.str
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/sysfs.o
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dbgaufs.o
      LD [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: "security_inode_readlink" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "deny_write_access" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "security_file_permission" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "do_truncate" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "do_splice_from" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "lookup_hash" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "security_inode_permission" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "do_splice_to" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "__lookup_one_len" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
      CC      /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.mod.o
      LD [M]  /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'
    ln -f fs/aufs/aufs.ko aufs.ko
    It seems that I have the aufs.ko file. I will go forward to see if something is wrong...

    I copied the aufs.ko and cloop.ko to lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/drivers/block/
    Insert into modules.dep
    Code:
    echo '/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/drivers/block/cloop.ko': >> /lib/modules/2.6.31.6/modules.dep
    echo '/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/drivers/block/aufs.ko': >> /lib/modules/2.6.31.6/modules.dep
    ##Edit:
    Now that I am here, I realized that I don't know how to make minirt.... LOL
    But I'll do it....
    Or if someone wants to help ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Actually I find it a bit strange that the kernel is compiled and obtained before the aufs2 patch. I would imagine that it is safer to use the kernel after the aufs2 patch. Perhaps the aufs2 patch does not have impact on the main kernel, so it might be also alright to use the kernel before the aufs2 patch.

Similar Threads

  1. How do i update the kernel?
    By klerg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
  2. Update kernel / update knoppix HDD
    By 105547111 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 05:40 AM
  3. knoppix reamster, kernel update
    By dingil in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 04:49 PM
  4. problem of update the Knoppix 3.3 Kernel to 2.6.5
    By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 12:29 PM
  5. Knoppix 3.4 ct kernel update
    By jollyagp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99