Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Internet connection problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2

    Internet connection problem

    I can't get on to the internet with Knoppix. I guess it doesn't do it automatically like Mint. I've tried to work it myself but I'm really groping around in the dark. I have a dsl connection and I believe that I have the 5.3.1 version.
    Can someone help?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    It does it automagically for me. Do you have a router? (If not, why not? Get one! There might be one already in your DSL modem, be sure it is enabled.) What is your hardware, particulary but not limited to the NIC? You are talking about a wired connection, are you not ('cause your chances of getting a wireless connection working with Knoppix are rather low)?
    What is the output of the command ifconfig ? Although you shouldn't need it, try running netcardconfig and see what happens.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    I tried running ifconfig and I got several lines of code (or whatever). I'm not transferring it manually. I also ran netcardconfig. It asked me if I wanted to obtain an address automatically (DHCP), I said yes. It searches and then says that there is no answer from DHCP server.
    There is also a "two computer icon"in the taskbar tray with a red x through it.. I click on it and an option is to enable networking. I click on that and it says that "the network connection has been disconnected."
    I would have cut and pasted the ouput of the ifconfig command but I can't figure out how to save the file to a floppy. Also, I can't see how to set up a printer.
    I am a novice when it comes to linux and computers overall but I have downloaded Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, DSL and Puppy and I had no trouble getting online or configuring a printer with any of those distros.
    My hardware is straightforward - an older Dell pentium 4, with 1 gig of ram.
    What am I missing here?
    P.S. I sent this message from Puppy.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by cretin
    ...What am I missing here?...
    The answer to the most important question of all, the router. And Knowing what you have as a dsl modem. And if you are not willing to type in the ifconfig info it makes it hard for others to help you. Also, the ifconfig info from a system that does work such as Puppy Linux would give us a lot of insight on how you network is built.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet connection problem.
    By LrdDragoon in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 02:25 AM
  2. internet connection problem
    By quincannon in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 12:58 AM
  3. Internet Connection Problem After Hard Disk Install
    By romoecameo in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 02:16 AM
  4. Internet connection problem.need help
    By Manstein in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 06:54 AM
  5. Problem with Internet Connection
    By farkas_imre in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor Six Core 3.4GHz CPU picture

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor Six Core 3.4GHz CPU

$39.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99