Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Getting a TV receiver working under Knoppix

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Getting a TV receiver working under Knoppix

    I'm trying to get a USB TV receiver working under Knoppix 6.2 DVD and I'm hoping some of the more experienced Linux users can put me on the correct path.

    I'm in the U.S. I have both an ATI TV Wonder 600 USB receiver and a Happauge WinTV HVR 950Q USB receiver. Both are designed for digital signals. To my pleasant surprise, Knoppix 6.2 seems to detect either of them. In the Sound & Video section of the menu I found Kaffeine. It sees the receivers, knows which one is plugged in. I can go into configure and (under the device tab) set it for over the air ATSC reception. At least I think I'm doing that, I select us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB, although I have no idea what 8VSB stands for. It seems the only ATSC selection I'm offered. Then I can go into the channel scan Here I check the ACTS option in "Filter". I've tried it both also checking the TV box or leaving it unchecked and only checking ATSC (What is the difference?) but in either case the channel scan gets no stations. I've also tried with no filter option checked, since I'm already telling the system that the tuner should be used for ATSC over-the-air reception. It should be getting stations, a scan from Windows with the same receivers and same antennas get plenty of stations.

    Can anyone provide insight on what I might be doing wrong?

    Are there other tools on the DVD that might help in diagnosing this, even other TV software that I could try (and can you provide any important and non-obvious set-up information)?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ihave had trouble with ahaupage card, it loaded wrong firmware, check the device ID " 045e:073 " is my mouse just now (not my computer), your TV card has similar, then look on the web for any firmware issues.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    ihave had trouble with ahaupage card, it loaded wrong firmware, check the device ID " 045e:073 " is my mouse just now (not my computer), your TV card has similar, then look on the web for any firmware issues.
    I don't understand. Do you mean software driver, rather than firmware? The firmware in the receivers doesn't seem likely to change. I'm not clear what to do with or about a "device ID" or what you were trying to say about your mouse.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sorry to be unclear.
    one of the DVB-T tuners I have has a firmware "image" that gets loaded with the module, there was an error in the one that came with Debian (now fixed), i had troubles similar to yours, I could "see" the card and work it, but no channel.
    I found a report about firmware error when I googled with the Device ID, so I found a working one and replaced the broken firmware, just swapped files (i think i got mine from Ubuntu), things started working.
    this is in Debian testing, but as we both know knoppix is related.

    here is what google found me on the ATI, same talk about firmware.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885293
    same here
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/per...26-kernel.html

    the hauppage i can not get to work 100%, not certain why.
    here is a nice Wiki
    http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AT...0_USB#Firmware

Similar Threads

  1. Working Knoppix 3.9
    By PanMan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 09:25 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
  3. KNOPPIX not working HELP....... again
    By waynejkruse10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 10:36 PM
  4. Knoppix Not Working HELP!!!
    By waynejkruse10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 11:36 AM
  5. Sound working / not working on Knoppix 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



NEW - Samsung 512GB USB-C Flash Drive Blue Up to 400MB/s Read Speed picture

NEW - Samsung 512GB USB-C Flash Drive Blue Up to 400MB/s Read Speed

$120.00



Samsung PM9A1 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD picture

Samsung PM9A1 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

$135.00



Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34

Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34" Odyssey G55T WQHD 165Hz 1ms(MPRT) AMD FreeSync HDR

$217.00



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00