Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: broken monitor and boot disk w/ sshd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3

    broken monitor and boot disk w/ sshd

    A friend of mine has a windows comp, the monitor just broke, and I would like to set up an ssh-server on it in order to gather the files. I need to be able to boot up w/out much or any gui configuration. and be able to set up an ssh server. I have used ssh server and client plenty, so I am familiar w/ it and the command line.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Good luck with that, but it is not something Knoppix is particularly good at. Personally, I would just stick a different monitor on the computer. Even laptops will almost always allow the use of an external monitor.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3
    would ftp be more suitable for this task?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Without a monitor, I expect that you will have problems configuring Knoppix for much of anything. I wouldn't trust it to work setting it up on another system and saving the configuration, as some other hardware configuration issue is likely to get you. Had you configured a system before the monitor failed, that could well work. But at this point I really would hook up another monitor.

    I do use FTP to transfer files from a system if there are Windows software issues. I'll generally install an FTP server on another system, then use an FTP client in Knoppix to transfer the files. I used to use Konquror, but I understand it has vanished from 6.2. Other browsers should work, or even the command line FTP client.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your input.
    Ive just ran into some network booting info...I saw something about PXE in the FAQ, I'll do some research on that, but I'll have to do it the easy way this time as its not my comp.
    Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I have several computers that can do a PXE boot. But I have yet to ever boot one this way. Used to boot Netware in a similar way over a decade ago, but I have yet to find and live Linux CD or DVD that includes a pre-configured PXE server that could be used for booting other systems on the network. If you find one, or make one, please let us know.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. how to make sshd start automatically at boot time?
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 09:14 PM
  2. start sshd at boot time
    By lothario in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 09:47 AM
  3. Change of Monitor after installing Knoppix on hard disk
    By BackToShell in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
  4. sshd at boot
    By Xam_nl in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 08:17 PM
  5. Rescue MSDOS broken floppy disk?
    By iconfly in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99