Quote Originally Posted by dbls
...
Don't know what kind of HD I have. My Knoppix version is 4.0.
....
I don't know what kind of hard drive you have either. There was a Knoppix version 4.02., I don't know of any version 4.0. Version 4.02 did automount what it could and show the partitions on the desktop. The current version is 6.2. All 6.x versions do not show the hard drive partitions on the desktop, although they might still get mounted. So I'm not sure what you have or if any mounting is needed. If you are typing a shell command and get a message that only root or super user can do that, either prefix the command with sudo or just open a root shell.

Of course, I hope that you are only trying to get to the hard drive for reading, if the partitions are NTFS it is not safe to write to them.