Quote Originally Posted by dbls
I tried testdisk, as it seemed easier to do. =P
Yes, so hard to read and follow the documentation for the better tool.

Quote Originally Posted by dbls
First I had to put "sudo cp /usr/lib/libntfs.so.7 /usr/lib/libntfs.so.5", so it would work.
This appears to be some sort of religious invocation to the Linux gods. It is written in the language of the Linux high priests, which I do not speak. I do recall from somewhere in the ancient past of my memory having problems with testdisk in 4.02. This well could be related.

Quote Originally Posted by dbls
It said the partition sector didn't have the endmark 0xAA55, and then analysed the cylinder or sth and found nothing.
Sounds to me like there is indeed a problem with the partition itself (and not the partition table in the MBR). That would explain what a 4.x version didn't mount it and put an icon on the desktop. If so, no manual mount command that I know of is going to give you better results. I have had Windows destroy several disks that Knoppix could not recover files from, so thake comfort in not being alone and that this is pretty typical of Windows. a large number of the new users who come here seem to come because of Windows corruption issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dbls
Do you think there is another way to get to my files?
Well, of course, the best advice is to load them from your backups. All important files are backed up, by definition if you use Windows and you didn't make backups then the files were not important and are not worth worrying about.

However, that you asked implies that you didn't make backups. I don't have any Knoppix based fix to offer. However, I have recently come across some Windows software that can in some cases recover files. It is not perfect, and it might muck up file names or other things, but it may be worth a try and it is free. It recovered some files for me (but one disk could not be recovered). This does involve moving around hard drives into a working Windows system. You can find the software here: www.piriform.com/recuva