-
Junior Member
registered user
Newbie help
Firstly to mention is that I am a Newbie to Linux itsel..with just a few commands that i know perfectly...
Configuation that i have is :
PIII processor - - 850 MHz (256kb cache memory)
256MB RAM
I have booted from the Knoppix bootable cdrom saying (the cd given to me is an english version..)
but it doesnt work...Everything seems to work fine but in the backgroung..I mean nothing is shown on the monitor..I have tried all the other modes(like screen=640x800...etc) but nothing seems to work ..I have even tried.
but even this doesnt work..
I've even typed 'scan' in the middle of the installation when it replied saying.."Undefined mode no.:assuming transperency..to get other modes & even tried those..but nothing seems to be displayed..but when a mouse click is given the cd runs indicating that the system is not hung....and when alt+crtl+F1 is pressed it returns back to command line as usual and al Linux commands do wrok fine(ofcourse 'startx' doesnt ..error msg'ing that it is already runnig)
Can anyone help me.... Thanx in advance..
-
Senior Member
registered user
As you can see I've split your post so that you have a getter chance of getting assistance. Check out the Docs link at the top of the page. Look at the cheatcodes.
Check the md5sum of the .iso you burned, boot with testcd- if those check out OK then boot like so:
failsafe
Are you aware that you may string the codes together like so:
knoppix lang=us xserver=XF86_SVGA xvrefresh=60
See if you can get it to work using more than one cheat code. All of this has been discussed exhaustively- use the search function in the upper right hand corner as well.
Give us some hardware details- we need a little more to work with here, specifically your video card and video RAM.
-
Junior Member
registered user
thanx for the response..
I have the intel chipset (i810) with built in sound card & VGA.. I have the SAMTEL monitor.. I had even run knoppix live cd on my friend's machine with LG monitor & 128 MB RAM 900MHz prcossor but the problem persists.
I have tried other combinations of the cheat codes but it doesnt seem to
work. The monitor blinks for 3 times (when a screen = ...x... option is specified) msg'ing that
Code:
"Using Modes 1024x1000 600x800 .."
etc..
But the system doesnt seem to hang. thanx in advance
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ksskruthic
thanx for the response..
I have the intel chipset (i810) with built in sound card & VGA.. I have the SAMTEL monitor
Do you have the specs for your monitor? Get the vertical refresh rates and boot that way.
.. I had even run knoppix live cd on my friend's machine with LG monitor & 128 MB RAM 900MHz prcossor but the problem persists.
I'm not sure how this is relevant in this situation.
I have tried other combinations of the cheat codes but it doesnt seem to
work. The monitor blinks for 3 times (when a screen = ...x... option is specified) msg'ing that
Code:
"Using Modes 1024x1000 600x800 .."
etc..
But the system doesnt seem to hang. thanx in advance
But- did you boot with testcd and then failsafe?
If all the above fails boot knoppix 2 which will put you to the CLI and then reconfigure your Xserver right there- if your configuration won't work then it just dumps you back to the CLI instead of having to reboot each time. Make sense?
-
Junior Member
registered user
ok thanx I'll try with these options...Anyway as I am dam new to this Linux environment i cant get wat CLI means. Anyway i'd likeu to suggest me site for learning things abt LINUX..is the /docs/. on this site Ok or anything else..
Give me a best site to know everything abt LINUX from newbie clarificatons to advanced programming in LINUX..
Thanx in advance
-
Senior Member
registered user
CLI= Command Line Interface
Start here
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hey thanx.. I've got my problem solved with vertical refresh rate but the resolution is not set.. the desktop is toooo big(with big font,letters) & I cant change the resolution on the fly using CRTL-ALT-(+ / -)...
I have tried all the resolutions..even using 'scan' but doesnt seem to work.. I set the vertiucal refresh rate to 60..should i have to increaseitr or is this the resolution prob.
thanx
ur site is koool. its great..thanx for this.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have a look at my XF86Config-4. The only resolutions available are the three listed. You can add whatever resolution you want just follow the format and you'll be fine. You could put as many or as few resolutions as you like. Don't forget to set your default depth too!
Code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
-
Junior Member
registered user
hi
Thanx for the code...but can u tell me how i can use this code & where can i put it for use
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: hi

Originally Posted by
ksskruthic
Thanx for the code...but can u tell me how i can use this code & where can i put it for use

# mcedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Or use any editor you like- I just happen to prefer mc. Just do it as root so you can save the file.
Similar Threads
-
By jefwic in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
-
By roofer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 17
Last Post: 05-23-2005, 03:19 AM
-
By mike22 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-30-2004, 05:00 PM
-
By Jack_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-22-2004, 12:24 AM
-
By Camel in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99