Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: No suitable Xserver

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    Newbie help

    Firstly to mention is that I am a Newbie to Linux itsel..with just a few commands that i know perfectly...

    Configuation that i have is :
    PIII processor - - 850 MHz (256kb cache memory)
    256MB RAM

    I have booted from the Knoppix bootable cdrom saying (the cd given to me is an english version..)

    Code:
     knoppix lang=us
    but it doesnt work...Everything seems to work fine but in the backgroung..I mean nothing is shown on the monitor..I have tried all the other modes(like screen=640x800...etc) but nothing seems to work ..I have even tried.

    Code:
    knoppix vga=normal
    but even this doesnt work.. I've even typed 'scan' in the middle of the installation when it replied saying.."Undefined mode no.:assuming transperency..to get other modes & even tried those..but nothing seems to be displayed..but when a mouse click is given the cd runs indicating that the system is not hung....and when alt+crtl+F1 is pressed it returns back to command line as usual and al Linux commands do wrok fine(ofcourse 'startx' doesnt ..error msg'ing that it is already runnig)

    Can anyone help me.... Thanx in advance..

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    As you can see I've split your post so that you have a getter chance of getting assistance. Check out the Docs link at the top of the page. Look at the cheatcodes.
    Check the md5sum of the .iso you burned, boot with testcd- if those check out OK then boot like so:

    failsafe

    Are you aware that you may string the codes together like so:
    knoppix lang=us xserver=XF86_SVGA xvrefresh=60

    See if you can get it to work using more than one cheat code. All of this has been discussed exhaustively- use the search function in the upper right hand corner as well.

    Give us some hardware details- we need a little more to work with here, specifically your video card and video RAM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    thanx for the response..
    I have the intel chipset (i810) with built in sound card & VGA.. I have the SAMTEL monitor.. I had even run knoppix live cd on my friend's machine with LG monitor & 128 MB RAM 900MHz prcossor but the problem persists.

    I have tried other combinations of the cheat codes but it doesnt seem to
    work. The monitor blinks for 3 times (when a screen = ...x... option is specified) msg'ing that
    Code:
    "Using Modes 1024x1000 600x800 .."
    etc..
    But the system doesnt seem to hang. thanx in advance

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by ksskruthic
    thanx for the response..
    I have the intel chipset (i810) with built in sound card & VGA.. I have the SAMTEL monitor
    Do you have the specs for your monitor? Get the vertical refresh rates and boot that way.

    .. I had even run knoppix live cd on my friend's machine with LG monitor & 128 MB RAM 900MHz prcossor but the problem persists.
    I'm not sure how this is relevant in this situation.

    I have tried other combinations of the cheat codes but it doesnt seem to
    work. The monitor blinks for 3 times (when a screen = ...x... option is specified) msg'ing that
    Code:
    "Using Modes 1024x1000 600x800 .."
    etc..
    But the system doesnt seem to hang. thanx in advance
    But- did you boot with testcd and then failsafe?

    If all the above fails boot knoppix 2 which will put you to the CLI and then reconfigure your Xserver right there- if your configuration won't work then it just dumps you back to the CLI instead of having to reboot each time. Make sense?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    ok thanx I'll try with these options...Anyway as I am dam new to this Linux environment i cant get wat CLI means. Anyway i'd likeu to suggest me site for learning things abt LINUX..is the /docs/. on this site Ok or anything else..
    Give me a best site to know everything abt LINUX from newbie clarificatons to advanced programming in LINUX..

    Thanx in advance

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    CLI= Command Line Interface

    Start here

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10
    Hey thanx.. I've got my problem solved with vertical refresh rate but the resolution is not set.. the desktop is toooo big(with big font,letters) & I cant change the resolution on the fly using CRTL-ALT-(+ / -)...
    I have tried all the resolutions..even using 'scan' but doesnt seem to work.. I set the vertiucal refresh rate to 60..should i have to increaseitr or is this the resolution prob.
    thanx
    ur site is koool. its great..thanx for this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Have a look at my XF86Config-4. The only resolutions available are the three listed. You can add whatever resolution you want just follow the format and you'll be fine. You could put as many or as few resolutions as you like. Don't forget to set your default depth too!

    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Card0"
    	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    	DefaultColorDepth 24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     1
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     4
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     8
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     15
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     16
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     24
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     32
    		Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    hi

    Thanx for the code...but can u tell me how i can use this code & where can i put it for use

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: hi

    Quote Originally Posted by ksskruthic
    Thanx for the code...but can u tell me how i can use this code & where can i put it for use
    # mcedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    Or use any editor you like- I just happen to prefer mc. Just do it as root so you can save the file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Error: No Suitable X-Server found
    By jefwic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
  2. knoppix 3.8.1 can't find a suitable xserver for video card
    By roofer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 03:19 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 05:00 PM
  4. 3.4 HD: = no suitable xserver found for your card???
    By Jack_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 12:24 AM
  5. No suitable Xserver after remastering...?
    By Camel in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99