Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Better audio mixer wanted

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17

    Better audio mixer wanted

    On (at least) the 6.2 CD version, the most n00b-friendly mixer I see is aumix. However, aumix is still not that friendly, since
    (a) I ssume it still uses OSS, and the OSS interface to some audio cards seems to miss a lot of controls (this was the case in 6.0.1), and
    (b) controlling a second or third audio device from aumix requires a command-line incantation to get it going.
    I am remastering Knoppix to provide a system to some people who are not ever in any imaginable world going to start up aumix with the command line.

    Thus I would like a more n00b-friendly mixer.

    kmix is suitable, but unfortunately requires huge amounts of KDE stuff to be installed to make it useful (and I am trying to keep my remaster reasonably small).

    Can anyone recommend a easy-to-use GUI mixer for Knoppix 6.2?

    Thanks.
    Jim

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    alsamixergui

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17
    Thanks, but it is not very n00b-friendly. After playing with it for a few minutes I saw no gui way of selecting the non-default sound card. And I'm guessing if I didn't immediately see it, the people I am making this for wouldn't either.

    Cheers.

    Jim

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17
    I'm guessing that not too many people care, but for anyone reading this thread in the future, so far gnome-alsamixer is the best mixer I've found that does not require kde.

Similar Threads

  1. CRON to control either the mixer or kaffine
    By radnor in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 03:25 AM
  2. no active mixer devices avalibale
    By bossslimthug in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 11:20 PM
  3. soundcard detected, but mixer cannot be found
    By jfhawk06 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 02:46 PM
  4. Mixer cannot be found
    By fhew in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 02:54 PM
  5. Remastering- No Sound / No Mixer WTF!
    By winslayer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 02:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99