Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Does anyone prefer an older version of Knoppix over 6.2? Why

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    To me, 5.1.1 is my stable version.

    The reason is that it works great on all my wireless machines. (i.e. they are old) However, I found that 5.1.1 is not really compatible with the latest hardware especially the video and SATA support.

    I still cannot find a better CD compilation since 5.1.1, most of the newer version seems to missing a great deal of important apps/components in the CD distro. (i.e. wireless connection, ssh, samba etc) I don't know the others, but these are critical to me, I use it on my daily life and cannot live without it.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    To me, 5.1.1 is my stable version.

    The reason is that it works great on all my wireless machines. (i.e. they are old) However, I found that 5.1.1 is not really compatible with the latest hardware especially the video and SATA support.

    I still cannot find a better CD compilation since 5.1.1, most of the newer version seems to missing a great deal of important apps/components in the CD distro. (i.e. wireless connection, ssh, samba etc) I don't know the others, but these are critical to me, I use it on my daily life and cannot live without it.
    I just wonder why you must have these programs inside the compressed image? I installed the missing parts on the persistent image with the CD version of 6.0.1 , and that works very well. Even the DVD versions of 6.2.1 will most probably miss
    something you need (e.g. samba server), so by the in-compressed-principle you may never be able to go beyond 5.X. Unless you remaster, then. Which I guess may be the best option for you

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    I just wonder why you must have these programs inside the compressed image? I installed the missing parts on the persistent image with the CD version of 6.0.1 , and that works very well. Even the DVD versions of 6.2.1 will most probably miss
    something you need (e.g. samba server), so by the in-compressed-principle you may never be able to go beyond 5.X. Unless you remaster, then. Which I guess may be the best option for you
    Good question, Knoppix, to me, is a LiveCD. That means boot it up from the CD when I needed them. It will leave no trace on my harddisk at all. (That is the part I like it)

    For a permanent installation, I only consider the real distro. I have a couple of machines already have Ubuntu server version or CentOS server version in place.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    For a permanent installation, I only consider the real distro. I have a couple of machines already have Ubuntu server version or CentOS server version in place.
    I run Knoppix mostly from USB stick (easy) or USB harddisk (even easier). No permanent installation on the harddisk then. And with 6.2.1, it is always possible to boot from the CD, and run from USB drives. I find that the hard disk installs of complete distros get less and less use, but I have them.

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50

    Yes only 5.3.1-DVD will do buemalet hate sexy controller f

    My must have is gcc with /libreadline and I'm incredibly disappointed that 6 doesn't have /libreadlne.
    5.3.1-DVD does, along with gnuplot, gv, latex, xdvi, xpdf and a few other needs.
    I think 4.2.1-DVD was almost as well resourced.
    Unfortunately 5.3.1-DVD doesn't understand my wireless adapter (and I can't follow the command script to render it viable) but that is really the ONLY lack.
    I just loved some of the older desktop backgrounds, particularly "LINUX IN USE" (3.something?) Hated the car speedo on 4.2, but not as much as all recent feelgood landscapes/ seascapes/ etc.
    And, in ALL CASES, wish I could turn off the fiendish SYSTEM STARTUP and SYSTEM SHUTDOWN "sexy" (don't think so) hag. On 6.2 even when started at level 2 (console only) she still chimes in at shutdow, though not

  6. #16
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by fergus View Post
    Unfortunately 5.3.1-DVD doesn't understand my wireless adapter (and I can't follow the command script to render it viable) but that is really the ONLY lack.
    I agree 100%.

    For me fortran is a necessity. Since 6.2 and 6.3 contain libgfortran (for scilab?) I assume that the lack of gfortran is simply an oversight. The version of gfortran in 5.3.1 is pretty old, but since I don't use the fancy new features it doesn't matter. 5.3.1 also includes the g77 fortran compiler, which is a plus, though I have not had problems so far compiling my old g77 code with gfortran. It is only the new gfortran features that are flaky.

    I expect to switch to 6.x whenever gfortran is included on the DVD. The visible advantages over 5.3.1 are 1) wireless support (I now boot Puppy Linux for wireless) and 2) inclusion of scilab. Meanwhile, it would be nice if package lists were routinely posted for new versions, to save me the trouble of downloading a DVD that lacks gfortran.

  7. #17
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    40
    There is the, now, OLD Knoppix and there is the NEW Knoppix.

    I am NOT a developer. A developer writes codes/scripts. On the other hand, I am an administrator. Someone who practices keeping usable systems in front of their users.

    In the old Knoppix, supported by much documentation, the startup and management of a LiveCD/DVD system was structured. There is methods designed to allow a user/administrator to managed a LiveCD/DVD system without going thru an installation. In essence, you should have been able to go from release to release by merely changing to the latest LIveCD/DVD.

    That's all changed, with the new Knoppix. (And its not reflected in the Cheatcodes.) The new Knoppix has "dropped" these facilities.

    In version 6.2+, I have found that the following is either NOT SUPPORTED or not there for some other reason. There is no desktop management tools that exist to allow a user/administrator to create the facilities of home=, myconfig=, tohd=, or swapfile. Thus any customization that you do in a LiveCD/DVD environmetnt cannot be saved across reboots.

    And, even though there are Cheatcodes that seem to reflect there existence, they do not appear to work.

    There are some very good reason why one would want to run a LiveCD/DVD based system. The most compelling of them is the contents of a LiveCD/DVD cannot be attacked or changed by errant or malicious program activity. The "home= & config=" are personalization and the ONLY FACILITIES THAT ONE NEEDS TO WORRY ABOUT. It seems that new Knoppix didn't see this as a benefit.

    Lastly, WikiPedia has tremendous documentation about Knoppix and its inner workings. New Knoppix IS NOT CONSISTENT WITH WIKIPEDIA. Whose responsibility is it to update WikiPedia; and "who has courage enough to say that there are 2 entirely different Knoppix!"

    Maybe its time to label the sharp departure by calling the latest Knoppix, "Knoppix2/NewKnoppix/NotKnoppix" or something else to distinguish its departure. Or add an upgrade to allow users to bring the functionality back into the New Knoppix's fold.

    I am sure the developers of Knoppix have ideas and simple techniques to alleviate at least this one sticking point. As this is a show stopper for me, currently.
    Last edited by GCMartin; 04-06-2010 at 04:02 PM.

  8. #18
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    31
    I use 5.3.1 with home= and bootfrom= cheatcodes. The comments in the forum leave me uncertain whether 6.* has functional equivalents. But until gfortran is added, I won't bother to experiment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Older Knoppix
    By jlspencer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 10:43 PM
  2. Where to download older version of knoppix
    By play1962 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 04:35 AM
  3. Where to download older version? (3.3 or 3.4)
    By xm32 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 08:13 AM
  4. Older versons of Knoppix
    By maroje in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 03:49 PM
  5. need an older version..
    By johncarlson21 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R picture

Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R

$341.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module picture

Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module

$150.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55