Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How do you install files in Knoppix?

  1. #1

    How do you install files in Knoppix?

    Hi I really am keen with Linux but don't want to install it untill I no how to install programs inside it.
    Hope You can help,
    FireDragonEater

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Are you really from the UK where your post came from? Most people there know the difference between know and no. End of grammar cops mode.

    Assuming that your request is legitimate, one of the problem with Linux that has impacted the wider distribution of the OS is that different "distros" use different tools to install software. The same package that you can install in Debian, for example, will present problems to try to install in Red Hat. So the exact procedure that you use will depend on the distro that you choose to install. And Knoppix is certainly not a good choice for you to install.

    However, if you want to try to install something in Knoppix (which may work or may cause problems due to the design choices made for Knoppix as a Live CD), you can try to use the apt system. Look up apt and/or apt-get on Google and read the man-page for apt-get. This will give you some experience with the tool used by Debian and many Debian derived distributions, so if you choose to install Debian later, you will know how to install additional programs in it (it is extremely easy).

    Part of the normal apt system is an update command. I suggest that you do not want to do any updates with knoppix, no matter what documentation on the apt system says. That will likely break knoppix. Update is, of course, fine when using a true installed system like Debian.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    I understand Harry's concern. We do often get people signing up and making a fake first post to try and look like genuine members before they start spamming the boards. Sometimes the wording of the post is a giveaway.

    Genuine members normally continue to post after someone has taken the time to answer their query (even if it's just to say thanks) and I hope FireDragonEater is one of the Good Guys.

  4. #4

    Sorry and thanks

    I am not a spammer I have just been at school. Thanks for the reply and sorry for raising suspicion.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Sorry and thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by FireDragonEater
    I am not a spammer I have just been at school. Thanks for the reply and sorry for raising suspicion.
    Well, I'm hardly one to be a grammar cop. I was absent the day that they taught spelling and I make plenty of typos. I do have some issues with the English language myself, in particular I take offense with the rules for "it's" and "its". There is no way that I can see that its should be the possessive form on the noun, and when I rule the world (and I really think that I should), "its" will be reserved for the rare case of more than one it. I usually can't proofread worth a darn, the doctors and teachers say it's because my mind takes in whole sentences or even paragraphs, and even when I do try to look at individual words and letters my mind sees what should be there, not what is there.

    But even with all of that your use of "no" stuck out. I didn't think you were a spammer, all of my tests on a new account came up clean. But the wording sure looked suspicious, particularly since you are posting from a part of the world where English is generally a first language. This is more typical of an error that one sees from someone in the far east who has some exposure to spoken English but less to written English.

    If you want to be taken more seriously in forums (and perhaps in life), avoid sloppy errors in the language, particularly no and know.

    Anyway, I hope that I've given you enough information on how to install "files" in Knoppix to at least get you started.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Yes, Thank you and there is such a thing as a simple mistake.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Moving on ... FireDragonEater, have you given it a shot? How did you get on?

  8. #8
    Yes lets and currently not very well as the PC I was gunna give it a shoot on graphics card just broke
    So I will be trying from a live cd on this machine later but I am currently doing a complete backup of this machine.

Similar Threads

  1. My vista install got fscked, how do i ftp my files over
    By jacksonon in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 01:47 AM
  2. how to install knoppix to cd to help rescure files
    By dominican2589 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 03:27 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.8.1 HDD Install - Where are the Linux source files
    By Ranger24 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 03:26 PM
  4. How do I install .deb files?
    By williamb in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 12:05 AM
  5. install freezes at copying files
    By konfused in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 5810 Xeon  E5-1630 v3 3.7GHz NO RAM  RAM  500GB HDD  PARTS picture

Dell Precision Tower 5810 Xeon E5-1630 v3 3.7GHz NO RAM RAM 500GB HDD PARTS

$120.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD picture

DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD

$550.00



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00