-
How to copy XP files to external HDD?
I picked up a SimpleTech External 500 GB HDD so that I could copy some files off my neighbors winders Laptop. The laptop boots to something called Dell MediaDirect (supposedly it allows you to play music or watch movies from the optical drive w/o booting to windows), but will not boot to windows. Dell support told her she needed a new HDD. I ran the Dell HDD diagnostics from the Dell Utilities CD. It indicated no problem w/the drive. I booted knoppix , and could see her files. I told her I could install Linux on it, and if that did not work for her she could still go back to windows. Anyway she wants to save her jpegs. The SimpleTech drive was recommended by a GWLUG member. The box says that it is winders and Mac compliant. I told the Fry's sales guy that I was using the drive w/Knoppix to copy files off the broken laptop. He said it would work w/Linux and if not, bring it back. Knoppix sees the external drive as sdb1 and the .exe that came on it. I can not drag and drop folders to it though. I get message "could not write to media sdb1/B000000.JPG" I tried draggingMy Documents to sdb1 and got message"Could not make folder /Media/sdb1/My Documents"
Maybe there is a Knoppix program that does the job? Perhaps this is a command line job? Maybe I should take it back and get an empty external rive shell and buy a drive to put in it?
The Laptop is running XP Home. Laptop was new 2 years ago. 120GB SATA drive.
The external drive is SimpleTech 500 GB USB Permissions are -rw-r--r--
I just noticed that File system is Auto. Whats that? and that the drive is not writable. Huh?
OK I understand that knoppix mounts sdb1 as unwritable. I right clicked on it and selected Change read/write mode. I get "Do you really want to change partition /dev/sdb1 (fuseblk) to be writeable?" I would like to be assured that I can now move the files before going on, as I do not want to do anything that would prevent my being able to return the drive.
Similar Threads
-
By vipersl65 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM
-
By CRK in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
-
By uzee in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-12-2008, 11:01 PM
-
By bcossa in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-24-2006, 11:06 PM
-
By bmarian21 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-06-2003, 03:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015
$26.98

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2
$12.99

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$21.05

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D
$339.99

NEW Original OEM 60W Charger for 2012 2013 2014 2015 APPLE 13" MacBook Pro A1435
$25.95