Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Copying files from crashed windows with Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    Copying files from crashed windows with Knoppix

    Can someone please explain in simple terms how I can do this using Knoppix. I have a computer running Vista and it will not boot up. I have tried everything to restore vista but no go. It just keeps looping and getting nowhere. Vista came pre installed so dont have a disc but have tried restoring and repairing with vista repair disc and that didn't work either.
    I have tried using Knoppix and it loads onto the computer ok and I can open the files but I can't copy and paste them onto my flash drive, It tells me I can't copy the files because I dont have permission. Maybe I got an old version of Knoppix and it wont work with Vista. I downloaded another version of Knoppix called Adrianna but that didnt do anything for me. All I got was a load of jargon I didn't understand, no User interface.
    I have read that I should be able to just right click and copy the file I need and then paste it to my flash drive but I dont get the option to copy and paste. It is just not there.
    Which version of Knoppix do I need to download. one that has a user interface and does allow me to copy and paste. I tried ticking all the right boxes to allow me to write to the flash drive but still didn't work when I tried to drag a file accross.

    I have read articles that make it sound so easy. all you have to do is copy and paste. but I am obviously doiong something wrong or using the wrong version of Knoppix. Would some please tell which version to download as I am on a download limit and dont want to use up all my download by getting the wrong program each time.

    And please can someone tell me in real simple terms so I can understand what to do. Please dont use technical jargon or vague descriptions. It would be like trying to tell someone who has never been in a car in his life to "start the car" How can you start the car if you havent been told how to do it. ?

    I need help desperately I dont want to format the hard drive. I need to recover some important files. and please, no lectures about backing up my files. I had them backed up on disc but all my friend had the discs and his house was badly damaged in a fire last week and discs were ruined. Luckily I had the files on my own computer but now Vista has crashed and I need to be able to get the files off the computer and onto my other comp. I thought I could do this with Knoppix by just copying the files or paste the files to my flash drive.
    If someone knows how to do this would you be so kind as to tell me step by step what to do. beaing in mind that I am quite familiar with windows and computers but not Knoppix unfortunately.
    Please help.


    Any advice will be welcome.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    mmruben, welcome to the forum.

    As with any new software, there is a learning curve and I appreciate that car analogy and understand how frustrating it can be.

    By the same token, it's not easy providing free help to someone who goes to great lengths to tell us what not to help with but doesn't explain his situation very well.

    "I have tried using Knoppix and it loads onto the computer ok and I can open the files but I can't copy and paste them" doesn't say what version you're using, whether you're trying to install Knoppix to a hard disk, run it from a USB, run it from a CD, or something else altogether. It doesn't explain what screens you get, what error message you get. And the load of jargon you don't understand can't really be interpreted if you don't provide it here.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    what version of knoppix? ariadne is for "blind" persons (Braille keyboard and display...), so if you do not need that avoid it.
    also have you tried to rightclick on the icon and look in the menu, there should be something about change read write mode.
    do that ONLY to the flashdrive, your HDD should remain read only so you do not harm anything there.

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix 6.2 on a crashed PC to tranfer files
    By poisonshift in forum Networking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 04:08 AM
  2. Windows XP Encrypted Files -- Login ID Crashed -- Help!
    By garfield in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 06:51 PM
  4. Copying files in Knoppix
    By fordprefect3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 03:58 AM
  5. kde windows crashed
    By jmpereira in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 08:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Express 4M2 4x M.2 NVMe RAID Enclosure Aluminum w/ SoftRAID picture

OWC Express 4M2 4x M.2 NVMe RAID Enclosure Aluminum w/ SoftRAID

$199.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99