Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: It isnt possible to get write Acces with Knoppix-User

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    It isnt possible to get write Acces with Knoppix-User

    Hello,

    I tried now and searched the web for hours, but just cannot activate HD write access for the User Knoppix on my 6.1 Knoppix Version (from ct).
    I do not get the option as declared in the FAQ to enable this access. I also cannot set the access in the properties, as the user Knoppix does not have the rights to do this.II also cannot remount it as the user Knoppix does not have the right to do this. I can mount it as root, but then I still cannot get write access as Knoppix user. And I need this write access as Knoppix user, otherwise the GUI-Filemanager is uselss, as the Gui is running on Knoppix user.

    Please someone help. PLEASE. Im quite desparate...As I need the Knoppix now...(as probably most do for a LIVE-System...)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    You haven't mentioned what type of partition your hard drive is. If it's NTFS, I would strongly recommend against making it writable, as Knoppix can't safely write to a NTFS partition. FAT or EXT3 should be OK. I've been able to set my Linux partition as writable using Puppy Linux, which is based on Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    If you need GUI access, you can have it as root by clicking on Run from the start menu and entering pcmanfm. If you need to have write permission on the target drive, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    man chmod
    You should be able to recursively allow user knoppix to have write priviliedges on the files on the drive and then use the GUI file manager.

    Warnings about writing to NTFS still apply.

    Good Luck.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    ndb

    Puppy Linux is definitely NOT based on Knoppix. It is not based on any other Linux but independently developed by Barry Kauler. I use both but I use Puppy more often these days.

    As to whether you can write to NTFS - I do it all the time with Puppy. There are always warnings but no definitive justification as to why not to. All I know is that there was a rather esoteric write problem when using versions of ntfs-3g in the past. Version 1.2506 (May 200 solved this problem. I don't know whether Knoppix uses a later version but I would have thought so.

    Of course, one can never be sure that software is bug free but would I regard ntfs-3g any less trustworthy than Windows itself? I guess we each have to make our own decision on that - but my experience is that I am happy to trust ntfs-3g. Of course, whether one uses Windows or anything else one should keep backups of important data.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    OOPS - My previous post said to click on Run from the start menu and enter pcmanfm, it should have read click on Run from the start menu and enter sudo pcmanfm

    Similarly, I meant that the OP should open a root terminal and perform any permission changing commands.

    My bad.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to write on FAT32 partition as regular user
    By finferflu in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 04:32 PM
  2. Urgent: Need to rescue info from HD, knoppix isnt showing it
    By jfreeman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 06:11 PM
  4. can't acces partition
    By écraz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 11:03 AM
  5. Cannot acces the internet
    By Icey in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72