Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: No video in browsers, eg Cnn, Fox BBC News.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4

    No video in browsers, eg Cnn, Fox BBC News.

    Installed to harddrive.
    Networking is up and I can access any url on www.
    I can play DVD videos with Knoppix (VLC) and it presents no problems.

    I however cannot play any live streams from BBC CNN or Fox News.
    I just get a black screen.

    It also does not tell me that I do not have flash (such as I get when using Fedora etc).
    So, I have no clue what is needed on Knoppix as there is no flash-plugin package available in apt as is on FC.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    For version 6.1 try opening a root shell and entering:
    Code:
    aptitude update && aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
    and restart the browser.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4
    Thank you for the reply.
    I did it what you mention, but what happens is that if I go to video, e.g. fox news => video and try to play a video, the entire video interface flashes with a huge "play button" on it.
    Really weird!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4
    To ADD
    CNN video just gives me a white window and states "loading from..."
    BBC gives me a dark window with a huge "vcr play button" and when I press it., I also just get "loading from ..." while it hangs.

    On the same machine booting into Fedora 12 I have no problem playing video streams, so it is not my connection, but some configuration in knoppix I miss.

    Knoppix supports my Intel Mac way better than Fedora and does not drop sound. All I need is the video streams to work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Again, using version 6.1 and Firefox , I have no trouble viewing video content from Fox, CNN or BBC. Even without installing the flash plugin. What I did have to do was to allow scripts on the page to run via the options button on the bottom right corner of the browser window. You can disable or uninstall Noscript on the Add-ons option on the Tools drop down on the Firefox taskbar.

    OTOH, perhaps there is an issue with video and the Mac hardware.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4
    On the Debian usergroup I received a solution to do the following
    apt-get install mplayer
    apt-get install mplayerplug-in
    After that, video was streaming perfectly.

    The only thing I now still need to fix is to run at 1920x1200.
    Debian in single user mode works perfectly at this resolution but on Knoppix installed to hard drive it remains stuck at 1024x768.

    Is there any way I can copy over XFree86 or Xrandr files from Debian to Knoppix to get it to work?

    I mean if the adapter is recognized and works at full resolution on Debian I cannot see why it cannot work similarly on Knoppix?

    Knoppix is really great, all I need is to get out of 1024x768 and to use 1920x1200.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with browsers with Knoppix.
    By mcamacho in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 12:02 AM
  2. http opens 2 browsers
    By Dreamofgilgamesh in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 08:15 PM
  3. K3.3 - good news, bad news
    By oldgeezer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 01:57 AM
  4. What was wrong with the web browsers
    By satimis in forum Networking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 11:35 PM
  5. Browsers open nothing when not logged in as root
    By Raj in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2003, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50