Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Trouble with external monitor resolution in 6.2

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Trouble with external monitor resolution in 6.2

    I have been among the select few quite pleased with 6.0.1, as I have been able to install everything needed from Debian repositories or other downloads. One of the especially impressive features of 6.0.1 has been the way the system, using LXDE, has tackled different screen resolutions 'automagically'. For instance, I write this on a laptop with 800x1280 screen, but using a 1200x1920 external monitor, with full resolution and no problems.

    In 6.2, running from the DVD version, I have not been able to make this work, tried kde, gnome, fluxbox + 'default'. No way, but I haven't tried with resoultion cheatcode, because that should not be necessary. Because this is so important for my use, I think I will have to stick with 6.0 - but several of the basic packages there are in need of updating now. And I would like to start from the DVD release.

    Is there any easy way out for me? Or will the best way for me be a remastering based on my 6.0.1 install?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Have found out some more: Compiz is the culprit

    Standard Gnome or KDE won't work for me with correct resolution 1920x1200 in 6.2, and LXDE also hangs, even natively on my Dell Vostro 1710 with no external monitor. But I can make LXDE work if I omit Compiz fusion. Which is done with the cheatcode no3d. But I haven't been able to find out how this initialization is being done, so the 6.2 X init is surely lacking a lot in transparency.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Update: Had to use the "screen" cheatcode with 192

    Just trying out a new Benq G2420HD 1920x1080 monitor, and it works (well, almost) nicely with Knx 6.2 and a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo pro 3405 when the cheatcodes no3d and screen=1920x1080 are used.

Similar Threads

  1. Monitor Trouble when Booting
    By Snorglorf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 07:56 AM
  2. Help with external monitor on my Compaq R3000.
    By shawnrgr in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 07:00 PM
  3. Monitor trouble - I'm so scared!
    By Audax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 01:29 PM
  4. Getting the monitor in the right resolution
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
  5. monitor resolution?
    By new dumbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.77