Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: PhotoRec 5.1.1 Query

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2

    PhotoRec 5.1.1 Query

    Hello. Just started using Photorec. Have researched it for months. Here is my question. When I get to the point where it says "Do you want to save recovered files in /home/your_name/Desktop/TestDiskPhotoRec/testdisk etc (Y/N), what do I do? I want the files saved to my USB Thumbdrive.
    Will it give me the option to save it there? If I click (Y), where will it store the recovered files? On the PCs Hard drive? Please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: PhotoRec 5.1.1 Query

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime
    Hello. Just started using Photorec. Have researched it for months. Here is my question. When I get to the point where it says "Do you want to save recovered files in /home/your_name/Desktop/TestDiskPhotoRec/testdisk etc (Y/N), what do I do? I want the files saved to my USB Thumbdrive.
    Will it give me the option to save it there? If I click (Y), where will it store the recovered files? On the PCs Hard drive? Please help.
    Are you using the Live CD or an installed Knoppix system?

    In both cases you answer Y and enter, the files are then stored in
    /home/your_name/Desktop/TestDiskPhotoRec/testdisk

    If you have an installed system the "your_name" is replaced by the username you installed; if not then replace "your_name" with "knoppix" without the quotes.
    You can then plug in an external usb memory stick or usb hard disk and drag and drop the receovered files across.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thank you hal8000!! I have been searching for that answer for MONTHS!! For the record, I am using Knoppix 5.1.1 LIVE CD. I also just downloaded Hiren's Boot CD which also contains PhotoRec.
    The system I'm attempting to recover files from is a 2002 era PC. The drive crashed months ago. Drag and drop won't work here. I'll need to run PhotoRec and recover these files. Thank you for your response. It is very valuable to me. Please feel free to reply with any other PhotoRec info that you deem important. Thank you again.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    can you mount that damaged HD or ls into it? (or locate any files on it ?) ( using "locate")


    also.
    tip.
    ensure you have plenty of empty space for all those files your trying to copy.

Similar Threads

  1. no 'dig' on 6.0.1 - How to query a NS?
    By udippel in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 12:21 PM
  2. PhotoRec data recovery help needed
    By Packrat1947 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 12:21 AM
  3. Photorec going like "frenzy", or very long time.
    By tubulari in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 11:07 AM
  4. a query!!!
    By Chinmay in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 01:04 AM
  5. X -query xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx :1 fails
    By sireasoning in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.21



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$465.98



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5

NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD

$444.99



SGIN 15.6

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD

$335.99