-
Installing gnome for Knoppix 6.2
I am new to both linux and unix. I just installed Gnome to the hard drive on a very old laptop. According to the documentation on this website, "To install Gnome, you have to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list except the unstable ones." This must happen before typing:
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome
Is there anyone who knows how to do the first step (commenting /etc/apt/sources.list)? I think I generally understand how the apt-get function works, but why do I need to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list?
-
Re: Installing gnome for Knoppix 6.2

Originally Posted by
exzhou
I am new to both linux and unix. I just installed Gnome to the hard drive on a very old laptop. According to the documentation on this website, "To install Gnome, you have to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list except the unstable ones." This must happen before typing:
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome
Is there anyone who knows how to do the first step (commenting /etc/apt/sources.list)? I think I generally understand how the apt-get function works, but why do I need to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list?
I'm pretty sure there's a cheatcode that will use the Gnome desktop, that's what you mean; try knoppic desktop=gnome and see what it does.
Krishna
Similar Threads
-
By Marietto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 01:12 AM
-
By The Fader in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
-
By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 11:51 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99