Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Installing gnome for Knoppix 6.2

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    Installing gnome for Knoppix 6.2

    I am new to both linux and unix. I just installed Gnome to the hard drive on a very old laptop. According to the documentation on this website, "To install Gnome, you have to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list except the unstable ones." This must happen before typing:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install gnome

    Is there anyone who knows how to do the first step (commenting /etc/apt/sources.list)? I think I generally understand how the apt-get function works, but why do I need to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: Installing gnome for Knoppix 6.2

    Quote Originally Posted by exzhou
    I am new to both linux and unix. I just installed Gnome to the hard drive on a very old laptop. According to the documentation on this website, "To install Gnome, you have to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list except the unstable ones." This must happen before typing:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install gnome

    Is there anyone who knows how to do the first step (commenting /etc/apt/sources.list)? I think I generally understand how the apt-get function works, but why do I need to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list?
    I'm pretty sure there's a cheatcode that will use the Gnome desktop, that's what you mean; try knoppic desktop=gnome and see what it does.

    Krishna

Similar Threads

  1. Error installing Gnome on Knoppix 6.0
    By Marietto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
  2. Installing GNOME
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 01:12 AM
  3. Installing Gnome from Libranet CD
    By The Fader in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
  4. help installing gnome on knoppix
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 11:51 AM
  5. Not Gnome, But Gnome Ready?
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance picture

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance

$29.99



Vintage Apple lII Disk lII Floppy Drive Analog Card PCB 820-0024-C Tested picture

Vintage Apple lII Disk lII Floppy Drive Analog Card PCB 820-0024-C Tested

$40.00